Katke-Cousins_v2 by Adam Brandt [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Katke-Cousins_v2 by Adam Brandt [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Katke-Cousins_v2 (23.5 MB)
Type: Real, Parkland
Designer: Adam Brandt
Date: 8/10/2013
Libraries Used: bethpage1, deerhollow, fountains, Glen_Haven_lib1, katke_cousins_lib, michigan, wf1, woodfordpark
A Brandt
Club Champion

Re: Katke-Cousins by Adam Brandt [New Course]

Post by A Brandt »

This course has been in the works for quite some time.

Katke-Cousins was opened in 1977 on the grounds of Oakland University in Rochester Hills, MI. The property was originally owned by John Dodge(founder of Dodge auto company). The course is private, but students and alumni have access. It was great while I was a student because it was only $12-14 to walk 18. As an alumni it's around $65 a round. There is newer course, R&S Sharf, on the property which I haven't played. The history of the course and the OU property is very interesting. Meadowbrook Hall sits on the property, built by Dodge's wife Matilda and her second husband after Johns death. It was finished in 1929, is 88,000 sq. ft., and is a National Historic Landmark.

My work on this stalled because I wanted to incorporate the mansion as it sits adjacent to the 17th and 18th holes. I couldn't find a proper pic or the means to take one of my own so I had to settle with a building from one of our magnificent libraries(can't remember which one!). It looks the part though, and it's more about the course anyway!

The course plays much harder in real life. It's not terribly long, but I believe it has a wonderful layout. If anyone is interested in learning more about the course and the property, start here: http://www.oakland.edu/golf/history
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

I can't wait to try this one out! I'm going to wait until I finish my own course(s) to play it and do a good review for you Adam. Been wondering if we were going to see one from you soon. I'm very interested in the history of it as well. I'll be checking it out in the next couple of days. Looks great from the pics!

Doron
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Nice course Adam as I have come to expect from you given your design talents. Everything I saw was technically sound. I did like the layout, nice variety. I did find 1 thing. I was on the left side of the 13th fairway just at the top of the hill about 100 yards and the shot path had me pointed way off to the right. Not a big deal for me, just thought you'd like to know. Nice greens with very good slope. I can see how it would play harder IRL. I shot -7 on the front and -3 on the back. All around a very nice course. Will definitely read up on the history. Thanks for the time and effort you put into it.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

DC, thanks for the review. As for the 13th hole snag, not sure I know how to fix that one. I'll take a look at it though. I know that while playing practice rounds the game will point me in the wrong direction at times, usually around the greens, but I don't recall it happening in a real round.

Also, I left out some adjacent holes left of #1 from the other property on the course. I just wanted to get this thing done and uploaded. You will see a couple holes from the R&S Sharf course adjacent to 5 & 6 though, just in case anyone cares :bg:
Parrothead
Chronic Slicer

Post by Parrothead »

I have dl'd the course, will install and play a round later. Interestingly enough, I was reading a story in today's paper (Toronto Sun), about Dodge Lodge on Manitoulin Island being haunted by Dan Dodge. He died while on his honeymoon there, 75 years ago today. Went overboard off his boat, wife was steering, after injuries sustained from playing with dynamite.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

I'll have to be more careful when I play with dynomite :laugh:
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Just sat down and played my first round here. I found some interesting information on the link that Adam provided as well. So here is my 2 cents...

The Good
Adam used the Woodford Park textures, which coincidently, I used myself in my latest course. This made my round a little easier since I am sooo familiar with the green speed. There isn't much to look at other than the playing areas of the course, which makes you feel like you are out there on a Wednesday morning. I know this because I play every Wednesday morning :) Everything matches well, from the different levels of rough to the trees and grass. The fairways are mostly nice and wide, and have some nice subtle slopes to them. The layout is pretty good too. You will encounter some easy birdie holes, as well as some really tough holes that you need to place your shot in the right area to even try to hit at the green, such as the 7th hole. It's only 530 yards downhill, but if you think you can get on in 2...HA!! I hit what I thought was a good layup, and still had to chip out on my third shot from 70 yards away! The greens roll very nicely, and if you play your slopes right you can end up close. The 15th is a great par 5, which for me was barely reachable on my second shot. I hit my 3 wood perfectly, and it landed in front of the green and trickled from the front right back to the middle where the hole was. I had a 9 inch eagle putt, which was the highlight of my round.

The Not So Good
I only had one issue with this course. If you hit the ball in the water, you have to play it out of the water. I hit the water off of the 8th tee, and was just in the edge. Instead of taking a 1 shot penalty and drop, I had to hack it out..which I was unable to do on the first whack. I ended up making a bogey, which was probably what I would have had anyways. Since there wasn't much water where I was at on #8, I was thinking maybe it was a cool shallow water texture that you could hit out of, but I went back into practice mode and intentionally hit it into the middle of the pond and still had to hit from there. I this was a custom water texture, I assume it was just an overlook on the properties. I don't believe I heard any sounds either. Not an issue for me, but I have heard it mentioned in the past.

Overall
This is a nice course that most of you will enjoy. There isn't alot of scenery, but makes up for it with playability. I had a great round of 68 (-4), with 4 birdies, and an eagle. There are some low numbers to be had. I give this course a B+, with only the water texture holding from A status. Still a wonderful course that will be enjoyed on my hard drive from now on!

Thanks Adam for your continuing excellence in designing! Great job!

Doron

***Just played another round and wanted to add this brutal power lip out on a chip shot on the 17th hole!
17lip.jpg
(381.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

Thanks Doron!

I have a bad habit of uploading courses that aren't complete. This seems to be another example. I always play practice rounds throughout the design process, but if I were to hit it into the water, I would just rehit until I'm in the fairway! I apologize and will fix the issues with the water texture and add some sounds. Look for Katke-Cousins V2 soon.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

I know Adam you mentioned a version 2 is forthcoming but I have played a few rounds on the new course and thought I would offer a review of it anyways.

What I liked:
As always, Adam pays attention to the detail of a layout. I liked the flowers at the back of the tee box, the look of the ponds and creek areas etc. Bryce mentioned that when hitting into the water you are not allowed to drop the ball and the screen redraws you with a shot from the water itself. There is a workaround - in a medal round you can always use the drop ball option and be penalized a stroke and drop back in the fairway etc. I actually like it this way, because it gives one the option of rolling up their pantlegs and giving it a go if they fancy. Great fun - but in practice mode there is no such option. The look of the course is fabulous - reminds me of a course I play in real life and if not for one feature missing; I think I could imagine myself out on the links (see below). Everything blends together nicely and the treeline is as good as it gets - fabulous Adam! My favorite hole was the par 3 12th - not only for the way it is laid out, but also for the view back to the tee once on the green. I found the par 5 15th an interesting challenge as well. The lines to the bunkers were polished and professional in appearance. Truly this is a work that is a pleasure to tee it up on!

What I think could be improved:
The one thing missing for me is sound - there is none of the ambiance of a roaring fountain or a lapping creek or cicada buzzing or birds tweeting right when you step up to give it a whack! True, the game supplies it in tournament mode - but I often play rounds with my girls without the crowds and the dead silence takes away from the immersion of the course. I think the greens are a tad bit on the easy side; especially on the front nine. I scored very well on the front with one putts on almost all of the greens. Other than that - a perfect gem of a course!

Overall impressions:
A picturesque course that plays fairly easy. I shot very well on the front nine in all four rounds with my worst score being a -4. On the back, things get a little more challenging and in four rounds my best total for the back was a -3. The bunkers do not really trouble you that much on this course - after four rounds of play I have only found the bunker once (a stray tee shot on the 16th). You do need to be aware of the location of the water. I shot rounds of 65, 67, 66 and 67 in varying conditions - pretty good rounds for me! With sound this course is an A+ for me - without it an A. Thanks so much Adam - love it!