Personal golf stories

Discuss real golf.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Personal golf stories

Post by bryce »

I am interested to hear anyone and/or everyones personal funny, great, embarassing etc. moments from playing golf. I'll start, since one of these instances occured today :/

I was playing the 8th hole at my home course (Granada Farms), which is a dogleg left par 4 of 370 yards and slightly uphill. The left side of the fairway is very closely guarded by trees, but a draw still works best from the tee. I naturally hit a draw, and as I usually do, I found the fairway with my 3 wood, leaving an approach with my 9 iron. As I said before, I hit a draw. I do it with every club in my bag, and it usually works, so I stick with it. My approach shot was a pull-hook, like I've never had before! I was at least 50 yards left of the green and actually hit someones grill that was on their porch. Oh, did I mention that my ball knocked the grill over too? Did I also mention that this was a 9 iron? The worst part about it was the fact that 2 of my friends were there to see it. I will never get to play that hole again without hearing about that shot again. By the way, I made an 8 on that hole.

Here is an idea of what I did:
oops.jpg
(389.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Please feel free to try and top that one! Please. Seriously.

Doron
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Re: Personal golf stories

Post by Terry Grayson »

I played in the City Golf tournament with 3 fellow PD employees a few weeks ago....We were on hole 8 at the city park, which is a dead straight hole, probably little over 320....row of houses down the right side of the fairway , FAR right side of the fairway...Id been hitting pretty good all day, we had one in the fairway (Captains Choice) so I got up there with the "Hammer" driver (Yeah the one off tv, someone gave me) I swung absolutely as hard as I could, and when I do I slice it..

Well this thing shot off the tee like a cannon, and then she started slicing... I said "Man I hope I don't hit one of those houses" and sure enough it sounded like someone shot a 12 gauge shotgun...We got up to the green, and the fellows ahead of us,I said "Hey did yall hear anything up here" I think I may have hit a house, and I horse laughed...They confirmed the firing of the shotgun sound, and one said he thought someone was shooting at them from next door...LOL

SAME day, par 5, second shot on a uphill shot, but ball was probably several feet below my feet...I got a hybrid and swung at this durn thing, topped it so bad, it popped straight up and I bet it landed a good 6 inches in front of where It was laying previously...Talk about embarrassed, well Ive never been good at ball below my feet swings (Well cept for PGA2000...) LOL
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Those shots you both mentioned sound like something I'm very capable of doing on any given round I play.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Terry, that reminds me of my old friend Jim Lowman! We were at Pine Mountain one day, and he was on the side of a slope that went down to a creek (#12 I think). His feet were well above the ball, but it was sitting high on the grass and he went right under it almost with his hybrid, knocking it about 40 feet directly above him. When it came back to him he took a baseball swing with it and hit it right beside the green!
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

I beat the crap out of my father-in-law this weekend. Something like 10 shots over 9 holes. I played very well, including a bomb of a drive for my first ever driven par 4. 310.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.