Abernathy Estate by Duncan McMonagle [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Abernathy Estate by Duncan McMonagle [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Abernathy Estate (8.1 MB)
Type: Fictional, Parkland
Designer: Duncan McMonagle (Links Legend)
Date: 3/3/2013
Libraries Used: cypress, woodfordpark
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: Abernathy Estate by Duncan McMonagle [New Course]

Post by bryce »

I never played alot of Abernathy Park, until recently when Links decided to redo it. After playing this version, there is no going back to Abernathy Park. It's Abernathy Estate from here on out! The course has been redone to look and feel more like our modern courses for this game. The reshaping of the fairways to challenge the big hitters really makes the course more of a challenge and more fun to play. Also, Duncan has placed bunkers in more useful places to do the same.

Thank you LinksLegend (Duncan McMonagle), not only for recreating an original course for the game, but for realising that the 3 architect files included with the game gives us a chance to reproduce a blast from the past!

Doron
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

I LOVEDeverything about this course.As Bryce mentioned about the bunkers and fairways in the right places and also the angle from the tees. I love greens with a lot of movement and this course delivers. It is difficult to do and still have the greens play fair. My round was A/D/B and I didn't have a problem. I was wondering if you adjusted the coefficents? The pano fit well with the textures and the plantings which were not overdone. The mounds around the fairways and greens are nicely done. I very much enjoyed this remake from a seasoned designer. VERY WELL DONE Duncan.
gova
Chronic Slicer

Post by gova »

Hi Duncan,

I also appreciated the course, it looked good and played great.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Brian
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Exquisite course!
Is she a go'er? Eh! eh! Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge ... you know what I mean? You know what I mean? :bg: 5 stars.
Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Great update to a classic design. Of the 2 updates to this course (David Lurty did one in 2003?), this is the one to get. The bunkers, the contours, the look is fantastic. It is however lacking in the sound department and so I would rate it a little lower for that. Definitely worth downloading and keeping. Thanks for the effort.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

sandwedge wrote:Great update to a classic design. Of the 2 updates to this course (David Lurty did one in 2003?), this is the one to get. The bunkers, the contours, the look is fantastic. It is however lacking in the sound department and so I would rate it a little lower for that. Definitely worth downloading and keeping. Thanks for the effort.
Re sounds issue:
Yes I agree with you, this course could use some sound. Is there any reason why the designer wouldn't add sounds? I felt the course was so well planted, realistic and fun to play that I would give it 6 stars. However, my max rating is 5, so "theoretically" I knocked it down a star for lack of sound. :)
In another thread, where Links 2003 was being discussed, one member noted how easy it is to create and edit sound files in PGA 2000, so one could add his own choice of sounds (from other PGA2000 courses) to this course if needed right?
That's something I know how to do in Links because I ran across some recent custom courses that caused my PC to crash due to certain planted sounds, and I had to go into the APCD to either change or delete the offending sounds (fortunately the courses were distributed as "unlocked" so they were editable). I found that trying to design a course in both the APCD and the PGA 2000 Architect, is a frustrating and difficult chore, but as it turns out I'm O.K with manipulating sound in the APCD, so I might open up the Archictect and give this one a go for my own curiosity if it is possible to do that.
Thanks, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

My bad I'm afraid - I simply don't play/design/or use sound on my laptop at all these days. A symptom of multi-tasking on the sofa whilst watching a 'Curb Your Enthusiam' re-run ;)

I'd happily re-upload with sounds if there was demand - and I agree that well thought out ambient sounds really add to the experience of a course - but given the 'snacking' nature of PGA with so many courses I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of having to redownload for people?

Let me know either way - I can overlay a realistic sound map in probably under an hour if there is demand?

Worth noting that for the Kruger course I'm building - I'm also creating custom sounds because I'm not sure there is a library that captures a hippo's grunt or a distant lion's pre-dinner roar(!)

Also thanks for the comments so far - glad people are enjoying it, and really appreciate any feedback good or bad!
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Duncan,

I just wanted to give feedback - no need to re-upload the course on my account. There are many here who play without sound or with just the tournament script running - I might be in the minority here. I play a lot of golf with my girls, both on a real course and on the cyber courses we enjoy, so maybe that's why I pay attention to that detail of the courses offered so much. I definitely liked it and am just grateful we have an upgrade to an Opfer design. I have always liked the layouts of his designs and presently have them all installed on my hard drive. I know he is still around - in the TW community I believe now, switching over there when Headgate left the Sierra project. I am sure if he downloaded this design, he would give it a thumbs up too. Thanks again. :up:

Dave,

I believe that once the file is compiled and uploaded - there is no other way to edit the course unless the original architect file is in your possession. Back in the day, there was quite a debate over that because of intellectual property rights of the designers being put at risk. Some enterprising person (not my opinion, I thought it was awful) took all of the designs that were uploaded and started selling disks of them on E-Bay without anyone's permission to do so. After complaints, the person was shut down. The Copyright Club offered CD's but with the designers permission - an attempt to fund the community website. So, allowing others to use an architect file has just not been done. Only landplots have been shared (see the Utillities page here for those). The difference with the 2 recent reincarnations is that both architect files were left on the original CD's as samples of what could be done with the architect. They are available for editing and re-packaging. I hope this does not hijack this thread - just FYI. Duncan has submitted a top-notch course and this space really ought to go to reviews of it IMO.