Jocassee Shoals V2 by Doron Cook (Bryce) [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Jocassee Shoals V2 by Doron Cook (Bryce) [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Jocassee Shoals V2 (16.2 MB)
Type: Fictional, Mtn valley
Designer: Doron Cook (Bryce)
Date: 3/3/2013
Libraries Used: chiltonhills, palmela, parkland, ruggedcross
ADC
Tour Contender

Re: Jocassee Shoals V2 by Doron Cook (Bryce) [New Course]

Post by ADC »

Jocassee Shoals V2 has had quite the build up to release, and I must say, it lived up to it's reputation well. Probably my favorite part of the course was the fact that Bryce gave it a total face lift while preserving the strategy and charm of the original. I sot 33/38 for a round of 71 on l/n/b.

Nothing here is over done. He didn't try to force anything new on the course, and that's what makes JCS2 stand out so much. All the charm of an old friend, all the drama of something you've never seen before. Take the 450 yard 16th. It's now a much longer, trimmer par 4 than the original version. With the wind in my face, instead of a wedge or short iron over the lake, I was hitting 3 iron into the wind. Anyone whose ever hit a long iron over water into the wind to a small green in real life knows how hard that shot is. It was no less exhilarating this time around.

The planting and textures are wonderful and subtle. I've always been a fan of the original Jocassee, but after this, I can see how bright so many of the colors are. There is nothing here that demands attention, planting wise, except the chute you have to hit through off the 11th tee. But when you do happen to look up and notice what's around you, the simple fact is, JCS2 is one of the simplest, most beautiful and well balanced courses in the game.

In short, to me, this is the golf course the original always could have been. I found myself looking at it and saying "Yeah, I remember that. Why wasn't it built this way to begin with, lol?" Way to turn an old classic into an absolute gem.

Here's to, Bryce, the Rees Jones of PGA2k!

ADC
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Thank you so much Alex, for you kind words! That just made my day :) The 11th also has a chute to the left if you feel frisky and want to take a shot toward the green. There was a small pond, that was not even close to level that I turned into a bunker. All of the greens are in the original location, just resized and shaped.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Bryce, yes, I noticed the pond. Where do you think the 38 started?
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

ADC wrote:Bryce, yes, I noticed the pond. Where do you think the 38 started?

Priceless! HAHA I tried to give an option to go for that hole, but some of us don't hit it far enough to carry the trap.
hookster
Chronic Slicer

Post by hookster »

Just played 18 holes. Shot -5 on front no bogeys. Shot 9 birds on back. l-n-b. Enjoyed, thanks for the course.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Thanks for taking the time to update this course. I really noticed the detailed design work and planting and the improved playability (especially the greens).
To tell you the truth, I was not a fan of the original (wierd tee surrounds on some holes and the greens were impossible to hit and putt unless "moist" was selected), however, I really missed that pickin' music intro and the lake and foothill views on the early holes, and the overall open views throughout the course (these factors gave the original a lot of character).
Jocassee Shoals V2 ? - maybe in the routing, but this lushly forested (almost claustrophobic), richly flowered course, just seems like a fantasy tribute to the Indy Jones school of golf course design (not a bad thing, I might add). Unfortunately, I have to knock you down a star and give you 4 out of 5 stars for removing the open views and panoramas, that gave the original an interesting and unique look. I gave 2 stars to the original for panorama and the across hole views - quite realistic ..... I thought at the time. However, "What do I know? I am but a poor corrupt Govenment Official." :bg:
Cheers, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the course! Dave, I honestly thought the pano was a little too pixelated, so I decided to enclose it.

Doron
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

First, thanks for taking the time to attempt an update of a classic. I liked it, just not sure how to comment about what I liked. It has a totally different look and feel from the original - which is not bad really. The sounds are pleasant and the course is bright in appearance. The course is longer and tougher than the original - yet the greens seem to be more negotiable and forgiving. If I was rating this as an original design, I would rate it high - but because it is an upgrade to a classic, I think I have to rate it a little lower. It just doesn't feel like Jocassee to me - something got lost in the translation here. I will say of the two recent releases, I enjoyed my rounds here more - it is a complete package of beauty, sound and strategy. It just isn't Jocassee to me. Thanks again - certainly worth keeping and downloading.