Tournament at Bull's Eye

Discuss real golf.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Tournament at Bull's Eye

Post by BrianZ111 »

Just thought I'd let you guys know I'm playing in a tournament at Bull's Eye this weekend. It's a tournament put on the local television station and draws the best amateur players from northern and central Wisconsin. It's two rounds, 18 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday. You can follow my progress on the leaderboard here: http://wsgaclub.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/w ... rboard.htm
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: Tournament at Bull's Eye

Post by bryce »

Thats awesome Brian! Its too bad about your hole 11 today, but to be noticed as a top amatuer to play is an accomplishment. Not to mention that the tourny is at a course that you have given to us. I hope your 2nd round goes better.

Doron
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yeah that was a disaster. They flipped the 9's for the tournament so that was actually the course's 2nd hole that I made the 10 on. I can't remember the last time I made a 10 on a hole, probably a few years ago. I hit it in the trees right on my drive, punched out, then hit a 3 wood into the trees right, punched out again but didn't quite make the fairway this time. So I had about 160 yet laying 4 and I tried to sneak by a tree to get on the green and hit it dead center. It did come back into the fairway this time but I pulled the next one into the left greenside bunker. Finally I capped it off with 3 putts. UGH!

Should have probably been in the low 80s otherwise, I made a couple of dumb mistakes later trying to force things to make up for that mess. I did bounce back right after it though, had a hard lip out for birdie on the next one, then I hit the flag stick about halfway up on the par 3 (course's 4th hole). It rattled off to the left about 25 feet and I two putted for par. The color coding for birdie/par/bogey isn't right on the site by the way because the pars aren't showing the front/back 9's flipped.

I also made the TV newscast highlights with the "shot of the day". On 4 (course's 13th hole) my ball buried into a fried egg lie on the right edge of the lip of the front greenside bunker. I took a stab at it with the 60° wedge and it rolled up to about 2 feet for the par save. I'll have to see if I can get a recording of that and post it.

Top 90 and ties play tomorrow, it looks I'm going to made the cut on the number. It was a lot of fun despite my disaster hole, looking forward to tomorrow.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Since I barely made the cut, I was in the first group out off the tournament back 9 today (which is Bull's Eye's front 9 if that's not confusing enough :laugh:) I played a little better, shot 40, 44 for 84. Had 3 double bogeys and a triple bogey where I should have had one less on each hole but I got myself above the hole and just couldn't get the ball to stop putting downhill. The guy I was playing with today said he thought they were running about 13 on the stimpmeter. I have no idea, I've never heard a measurement for a green I played before but they were like ice both days.

I finished nice on 18, I hit my tee shot behind the trees on the right in front of the bunker but that just served to allow me to get creative. I thought about hitting a full 7i with a fade but I just didn't think I could curve it enough so I went with a 1/2 swing punch 3i and sliced it into the middle of the green. It rolled through the back and I hit a lousy chip, respecting the speed too much and coming up way short but then I made about a 20 foot putt that had about 6 feet of left to right break in it to save my par.

I ended up with 172 total which was T74. (130 entered, 91 made the cut) The ranking on the leaderboard above is wrong because it mixes in the players who didn't make the Sunday cut ahead of me. Overall it was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to doing more tournaments like this.

The video from local newscast where I made "shot of the day" yesterday is on their website. You can watch it here: http://www.wsaw.com/video/?autoStart=tr ... Id=7555376 it’s 2:53 into the video clip. It was a fried egg in the lip so I just tried to dig it out with a closed face 60° wedge and it came out with perfect speed.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Brian! Nice sand save. Hopefully you'll make the field next year and do even better. You made the cut which is more then I can say on many occasions on this sim. Do you get anything for playing 2 rounds but finishing back in the field?
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Hey Steve, we did get some nice drinking glasses with the tournament logo on it. They also have you grouped into different flights based on the day 1 scores and they gave out trophies to the top 3 in each flight in addition to the overall winner. I was around 6th or 7th in C flight though so I didn't get anything there. I needed to shoot about 80 on day 2 to place in C flight. I kind of lost any chance when I triple bogeyed 17. I figured I needed a birdie in the last two and pushed too hard there.
Blade
Novice

Post by Blade »

Hi Brian,

Nice shot there mate!

Well played.

Dave.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »