Peninsula State Park Golf Course by Brian Zager [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Peninsula State Park Golf Course by Brian Zager [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Peninsula State Park Golf Course (11.1 MB)
Type: Real, Parkland
Designer: Brian Zager
Date: 12/27/2011
Libraries Used: northamerican, peninsula_state_park_lib, pspgc, The_Ridges, wisconsinriver, woodfordpark
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Re: Peninsula State Park Golf Course by Brian Zager [New Cou

Post by Terry Grayson »

Opened up the course, and immediately struck with the texture set.....Magnificent job here Brian...I loved the textures..You have a great grasp of creating realistic blends

This course reminds me of Royster Memorial in my hometown in that most of the holes bunkerings are greenside and it made me feel like I was walking around
on a nice day soaking in the surroundings enjoying a relaxing round of golf... That little 60 yard par 3 I launched one somehow in the stratusphere and still dont know where that ball went, on my third after the penalty I nearly sunk it for par! (3 inches)...

9th even had a coke machine where I grabbed a cool drink, and stepped up to the 11th and hit the green in one, and sunk the eagle putt!!!

The Pano I absolutely loved...It matched so well with the surroundings, and many times I couldnt tell where your plantings ended and it began!!!!Great job there
Scale is something I have really tried to study and get right on later courses, and you did not disappoint here, just looks so natural....Great work...

Nicely constructed golf course, One I would like to play in real life...Not overly long and beautiful surroundings

Wonderful Job Brian, I hope this isnt your last like you suggested....I loved it!!!!!
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

A quick review before heading out this evening:

The really great stuff: I liked the layout of this course - not so difficult but with a lot of variety. I loved the angled doglegs and the two putting greens - those were nicely done. I disagree with the earlier comment about the textures, but keep in mind, I have a preference for the lighter shades. At any rate, I thought the areas under the trees matched what you are likely to see on a real course and that is all that counts in my book.

My only complaint: I thought some of the sounds were a little "fuzzy" when played, but that bell was pretty clear! That is my only complaint though.

Overall thoughts: What a month we have had with 3 A listers (on my list anyways). I think that we are really at a great place in designing right now - some great libraries, many years of mistakes to learn from, plus a few really talented designers still active amongst our community. The library here is definitely worth the download alone. Have a great New Year Brian and thanks for this beauty of a course!!!
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Thanks for the reviews guys. Where that Coke machine is between 9 and 10, they also serve brats. Kind of a nice energy boost between 9's. You want to hit it around 2:00 PM though because it's cheaper when they're selling off the leftovers then if you hit it at noon.

Terry, was it easy to clear the trees for you on 11? I debated where to put the tournament tee there because there's two tee boxes on that hole. The one I used is 300 yards in a straight line to the green but the angle is a lot tougher. Every time I tried to go for it in calm wind I caught a tree. The other one is about 330 yards but straightens out the dogleg quite a bit. In case you didn't read the text file, the professional tee is like an alternate tournament tee and uses the other tee box in cases like this.

Sandwedge, I went in and listened and I guess I kind of hear what you mean but it's pretty subtle. I never really gave it a second thought though. They are the same bird sounds I've been using in all my courses from the Wisconsin River library in 2004 and nobody's ever said anything before. :laugh:
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Very nice Brian! It reminds me of some of the courses I play in real life here in NC. Everything looks and plays very real. A+!!
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Brian, I had a 14 mph tailwind toward the green, and rotated toward pin, but clicked few clicks left to play wind I actually used a 2w and didn't think I'd clear them but I did and landed 25 feet from hole! That's a nicely designed hole!
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Nice, I was hoping it would be a risk reward kind of thing but I didn't know for sure with the people who hit it farther than I do in the game. There's pretty much 3 scenarios there if you go for it. You make it and get on the green, you hit one of the last trees and come down in the rough but with an open 2nd shot, or you catch a tree before the last ones where it comes down in the pine needles and it starts rolling down the hill and you're looking at a big number!
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Just played a quick Match Play game on this new release. Shot a -6 (65). That included a double bogey on that very short 74 yard par 3 which I hit to far and went OB. Brian this is a very nice public type of course that most anyone should enjoy. Nothing fancy put well done indeed.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Loved it.
Feels like you could just 'step in' and play for real.
Nice and roomy, but clingy rough when you miss the short stuff.
Great pano and texture match.
Good variety of holes, especially the par 3s with the elevation changes, and a bell on one hole that rings when you clear the blind green!
Who could ask for any thing more?

One tiny downpoint, I got a little distracted by the constant bird tweets, once you notice them, they kinda stay with you, but this won't put me off playing here.
Great release.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Thanks for the reviews guys, appreciate it.