Kapalua Plantation Course_V1 by Ogilvy2 [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Kapalua Plantation Course_V1 by Ogilvy2 [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Kapalua Plantation Course_V1 (21.5 MB)
Type: Real, Hawaiian
Designer: Ogilvy2
Date: 12/20/2011
Libraries Used: baltursol, bullock_run, hoc, inlandheath, kapalua_library, northamerican, oceanside, pinevalley, poundcc2
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Kapalua Plantation Course_V1 by Ogilvy2 [New Course]

Post by SteveHorn »

Just finished playing a quick match play round. Although the layout is just good not great and the greens seem pretty easy with some large flat areas. Everything else is TOP NOTCH. Most of the detail and planting show how good of a designer Boris is. Recreating real couses is so difficult at times and Boris did an outstanding job in making Kapalua very close to the real deal. I'll be keeping this and playing in tournament mode soon.
gova
Chronic Slicer

Post by gova »

Thanks for a great replica of a popular course.

I found the course very difficult, but generally do with a lot of courses in the PGA2000 game play.

Cheers
Brian
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

I loved the choice of textures and the planting work done by Boris in this design. It is truly an immersive experience. I am an average golfer I think now and I shot a -5 with average/breezy/normal conditions. Nothing more I can say but thank you very much for a beautiful course - glad you had a notion to do it! :)
Last edited by sandwedge on January 1st, 2012, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

I'm not too familiar with the real course, except maybe for the 18th, so I can't comment about how accurate the layout is, but I can comment on the course I played for the first time.
Wow, space, lots of space. Must be one of the most 'open' courses I've played, very generous fairways and big greens. Combine this with the elevation changes on most holes, and then you have the essesnce of this course.
Blast away off the tees as I did, and you will see your ball hit fairway slopes that take it away and run it towards traps and sticky rough. It's going to take a few rounds of trial and error until you work out where to land your tee shots. Very subtle.
Some great views from the exposed tees, but some views offer only a wall of green grass, due to the huge elevation changes. Seriously would not want to walk this course for real.
Architect wise, everything is top notch, smooth, bleends together well, textures and plantings are great, (except the green textute, that will give you a little wonky eye if you look at them too long!).
Excellent release, and if someone will inform me which PGA event is played there (I'm thinking the Tour Championship?) I shall have no hesitation in adding this venue to my offline tour schedule.
Great work.
ogilvy2
Weekend Duffer

Post by ogilvy2 »

Thank you very much for all your reviews.

David, it is the very first tournament in january the "Hyundai Tournament of Champions", where only the players who won last year on the PGA tour are qualified.

Yes, it is a very open golf course with very big fairways and greens. I first thought about to change that, because i knew from the first time Brian send me his plot with the routing it could end up with being to easy to play for the Pga2000 game. But I agreed with Brians thought about it, that it is a real course and he suggested me, not to change it. The PGA pros shoot low numbers there too, if the conditions are easy, but usually there is a lot of wind that is defending the course a little bit, so maybe you can compare it a little bit with a links style course.

I think my weakest part on designing is the "green work", so I knew from the beginning even if I get the other things "right" this will be difficult for me to make it a challenging enjoyable course. I also agree that the green texture does not really fit, but I could not find a better one with the "greenspeed" I wanted to have.

If I will find some time, I will think about to make a Version2 of this course after seing the tournament on TV in january, where I try to make the greens more challenging, but I am not sure about that.

I would like to say a special thank you to Brian for his help and that I was able to use his plot.

Thanks again for all the feedback, and I am glad you like the design.

Greetings
Boris
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Finally got a chance to play this course.

I would agree with Polslad about the green texture, It's a little hard on the eyes because the mow pattern on it is so tight. Boris, if you do a second version and have a green texture you like that you want different properties for let me know. I can take a screenshot of it in the architect and put it in a new library so we can change the properties.

There's a lot of broad sweeping elevation changes on this course, which is accurate I assume, but didn't quite look natural to me at times. I think you needed to put in more humps and bumps and swales into the fairways. If you do another version I'd recommend checking out Stefan Højgaard's tutorial on creating these. It’s in the Copyright Club Design Tutorials - Folder 1 file and called Stefan's Hole 14 Tutorial, skip to the local elevations heading.

I also thought the greens lacked more subtle breaks that could be added in addition the current big sweeping breaks.

I can’t think of anything else I didn’t like. The bunker work looks really nice and I think the planting turned out fine. Overall it’s a really good course, certainly a big challenge to do, thanks for doing it.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Another great real course we have to our arsenal now! I was very impressed with how similar it looks to the Tiger Woods Xbox version. The fairways and greens are extremely sloped, making tee shots and approaches pretty tough to judge. I played with very dry greens and despite the massive slopes, I was still able to putt reasonably well.

Excellent job Boris!
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Aloha from Hawaii!

Hey all of you at GolfSimClubhouse, I'm writing to you from the island of Maui and the Kapalua resort...I think. Or is it just one of the more amazing real life renditions I've ever seen in this game. From the approach to the first green on, I have only one word in my mind...WOW!!!!! When I play a rendition course, the chief thing I'm looking for is this...can I forget that I am playing a sim, and feel like I am on the course I have studied and seen so well. And the answer here is...yes. A thousand times yes.

Ok, yes, the greens could be a little more contoured, and the textures and little smoother, but other than that, this is a gem. Absolutely a keeper, and I'm going to really enjoy being able to start each season off on the right foot from now ow. Thanks, Ogilvy!
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.