Royal St. Georges 2011 by Polslad [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Royal St. Georges 2011 by Polslad [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Royal St. Georges 2011 (22.2 MB)
Type: Real, Links
Designer: Polslad
Date: 9/18/2011
Libraries Used: glenmarnock, glenmarnock_blend, hawaii, Liverpool, portmarnock, royalstgeorge, turnberry_lib
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Re: Royal St. Georges 2011 by Polslad [New Course]

Post by spencerturner »

WOW, what a great course . I have never been a fan of Links courses , but this one may change my mind. This course has a lot going for it. great pot bunkers , well placed and well designed. Excellent blending of textures, good plot design, greens are a bit fast on dry but smooth and every one putted true. Loved the greens. Loved the change of pace at # 4 green site. Absolutely nothing to dislike here. Wish there were more wind sounds , but that takes nothing away from this course. Very well done Polslad should be added to Dar"s A-list IMHO. Spencer.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

This is a lovely course and a fairly well done recreation. It is hard enough to use the architect, let alone use it to give a real course the justice it deserves. David has done an excellent job. I am a huge fan of links courses so I might be a little biased but I think anyone who downloads this beauty will not be disappointed. I will not be keeping the course on my hard drive however. I like the Somerfelt version a little more than this one. Thanks for all your hard work.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

David! Very nice work on your rendition of Royal St George. Since this is a very open course the gallery's were a good fit. I generally on most courses don't like the looks of the crowds. I'll be puting this on disk, for its an A lister in my book. One thing that I wish you had done (IMO)is had some areas of taller (low calf) grass 10 to 15 yards off the fairways. I believe I heard they had a dry season before The Open started and the rough wasn't as tall as usual but I did see a few areas of somewhat nasty and narly grasses, STILL A GREAT JOB with the architect. Now all we need is a new version of Royal Birkdale and maybe Castle Stuart.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Thanks for you comments guys, well appriciated.
I'm a little bummed at only 3 reviews though, that's a lot of effort for such a small return.
ogilvy2
Weekend Duffer

Post by ogilvy2 »

Hello Polslad,

I post here extremely rarly because of diffrent reasons and I know I should at least write a few reviews once in a while.
I understand you very well.
It takes so long to create a golf course and I guess Links courses take the most time, because of all the elevation work you have to do and all the bunkers and other detail stuff it takes, to make it look real and good. No or not many trees or other plantings to hide things, so the detail work on elevation is very important, I guess.

I would like to let you know, that I appreciate all your great designs very much and I am impressed how much detail work you put into all your designs and how real they look (in compare to what I can see on TV).
Great job, Polslad.
I also wish, that we would have more reviews here, but I for sure can´t really say something, because I also do not post as much as I should, sorry for that.

Thanks again, for all the great courses you make available for us. I always enjoy your courses very much.

Greetings from germany
Boris (Ogilvy2)
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Dave I've had back trouble and when I do get online it's usually for only 30 minutes at a time so I haven't had much chance to look at the new courses. I did look at and run through a couple of holes on your new RSG, and as usually I'm impressed by what I see. You are the best at links courses, especially renditions. But yeh, I also share your frustration at the lack of reviews; I guess it's just an ego thing but it hurts when our small community isn't very supportive. When I released Wabash Valley and Leverette Mtn a year ago, I got ZERO and one review. That still stings.
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

Indy I understand your disappointment with the lack of reviews for the two courses you mentioned. You are a d--- good designer and deserve better. I would suggest to you that one of the reasons may be that you use an abundance of libraries. With Wabash you used 17 libraries and with Leverett you used 15 libraries. That's 32 libraries for 2 courses. This probably turns some folks off who dont want to take the time to download that may libraries especially if they have a dial up system. I have cable which is pretty fast and I still dont like downloading that many libraries and I usually dont . I looked at the pics. of both courses and they look really good and its a shame more folks have not played them and commented on them including me. As a designer you have the right to use as many libraries as you feel necessasry to complete your course the way you want it to look. However, it may be the reason for a lack of feedback. Respectfully, Spencer.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Spencer! I have to respectfully disagree with you about the to many libraries issue. A few years ago this may have been a legitimate issue but anyone who uses that as a reason today is using a LAME excuse. Granted it may take a few extra minutes the 1st time you play a course with lots of libraries to install. But if you decide to keep it it should be compressed on a disc with ALL THE NON STOCK LIBRARIES. Then the next time you decide to play a course it will be installed in under a minute and ready to play.
If your using dial up I hope by now over the months and years most of the people playing this game,have downloaded and kept most of the common (non stock) libraries on their computer and put on disc. That would leave only a few that would accually need downloaded from this sight when new courses are released.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

It is a good challenge to score well on this course (which I didn't). Three of us took a spin on the front nine last night and I slinked away with a +2... my first over-par nine in quite a while. This course just ate me alive... mainly the greens. Most of the greens are away-sloping from the approach shot and are very hard to hold. Usually, you end up dribbling off the back of the green and are faced with a chip to get back. Also, the greens are "springy" :wierd: . Even if you bring the ball in at a sharp angle, it will bounce as high as the pin and roll off the back.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about the greens. I just think you might have to play this course a few times to learn how to play it. Nice course

Dar