Links Course at Hatteras Isle by Terry Grayson [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Links Course at Hatteras Isle by Terry Grayson [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Links Course at Hatteras Isle (52.7 MB)
Type: Fictional, Oceanside
Designer: Terry Grayson
Date: 3/14/2011
Libraries Used: coosbay, coosbayblend, cypress, GlenHaven, GlenHaven2, oceanside
A Brandt
Club Champion

Re: Links Course at Hatteras Isle by Terry Grayson [New Cour

Post by A Brandt »

Great course Terry! The blends look awesome, I'm glad you like them. The course plays pretty difficult for me with the narrow fairways. Your bunker placement is great as it really had me thinking. I really liked how, even though the fairways were very hard for me to hit (I think I hit 2 of them), you leave ample room to either side for me to catch some rough before ending up in the sand or beach. The routing is very nice and I think the pano fits perfectly. The greens have to be some of the best I've ever seen. The only negative I have is that on a couple holes the angle to the fairway was so severe that, unless you play a big sweeping draw or fade, there's no room to land in the fairway. But I also assume that's why you designed it like that, forcing you to shape some shots. With that said, I think this course is a great test for all the skill levels of this game. Great job!!

One question though, how the hell did it only take you 2 months to do it??!! And I thought I worked fast :laugh:
Craigus10
Scramble Player

Post by Craigus10 »

Hi Terry,

A very nice course. Blending on it all was great and looked very effective. I found the back nine to be easier than the front nine, with most holes making you think before trying for a couple of shots. Some great risk/reward holes built in to it.

The overall look was pleasing to the eye. The only thing I found, which may have to do with a setting, was no tee markers. Only a small point and doesn't take anything away from the course.

Thanks for the release. Very enjoyable.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Terry, you've really outdone yourself this time buddy! This course is beautiful. I like the variety and realism. I found myself several times using strategies that I use on a real golf course. The planting is top notch, bunkers are perfect, greens are smooth and true and the layout is tough but fair and playable. I played about average for me, and shot -1. Dar mentioned that this is the largest course file ever, but every bit worth it! The Links Course at Hatteras Isle has a permanent spot on my hard drive.

A definite top 10 all time course here! Thank you Terry for a true gem.

Doron
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Terry,
This is truly magnificent !!!!!
A great addition to our A list courses.
Thank you.
Stan
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

I always know if I am going t o like a course from the view on the first tee. The first tee should capture your attention and not let go untill the last putt on the 18th. This is such a course. Beautiful blending , the greens are excellent, well placed and designed bunkers, wonderful rolling fairways, no gimmicks and it all comes together as it should. And all done without using a dozen or more libraries. An imposing design to be sure. On a scale of 1 to 10 for difficulty I give it an 8 at least. Hard to be critical of the work of an old friend but one thing that I found to be a little unusual was the shot path from tee to green on some holes. Hard to get use to for me. I thought the plantings were ok but not up to your usual high standards . Many thanks for your hard work. Respectfully, Spencer.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

I liked the rolling fairways and the greens of this course. In fact, I would say the greens are among the best I have played in this game. I finished each of my rounds here thinking I should have done better. The layout seems to work real well. All of this makes the Links Course at Hatteras Isle a course to play and enjoy many times in the future for my family. Thanks so much Terry for the effort - true gift to our community :)
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

I sincerely appreciate each and every thought about this course. I got a little impatient there toward the end, and didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb as I should have. things such as the tee markers, (Not sure how I didnt catch that, but I left them out) shot paths that Spence pointed out. I in fact planned for it that way, however on some of the holes, I didn't give ample room for a bailout, or if you tried to cut off some and hit the shot up further on the fairway enough space for a landing area..I wanted some unusual shots on some of the holes to make one think about "What should I do here" in some cases I think I got it, but I am sure I fell short in others..Always learn from the great people here, pointing out what should or could have been done better, and i always soak it in and appreciate it very much....I stepped into a Kali game and watched Dar and the gang last night for a few moments, and Dar had a short putt on #12 I believe it was, YEP HIT A SPIKE! I turned about 14 shades of red....Hard to catch them all, but I should have caught that one... My old pals really let me have it, and i got a great laugh out of it...LOL

Thats why I have always loved this community, people aren't afraid to tell you what you could have done better, I love it!!! And it makes me want to do it all over again and try to build an even better course....Constructive criticism at its best, and I listen to every word and try to use any ideas, thoughts next time....

Thanks everyone I appreciate it very much....
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

What can I say that hasn't already been said. From the time you open up the course, you know it is "A Grayson Course". It is kind of like looking at a Rembrandt and just knowing it is top quality. No one does it better when it comes to realistic looking courses.

On of Terry's signatures is his blending of textures. The transition from rough to say sand dunes is almost perfect... seamless. You can also tell that Terry pays a lot of attention to the areas away from the fairways too. That adds a lot to the realism of the course.

A word of caution... Don't stray from the fairway. Take what the course gives you or it will penalize you, big time. Some of the testosterone laden, knuckle-dragging neandrathals I play with tried to over power the course and paid the price. I found myself hitting a lot of short woods and even long irons off the tee just to stay fairway. Sure, they called me sissy, chicken and other derogetory terms too filthy to mention here, but in the end, I laughed last... muhahahahaha.

Here is a recap of the two 9s

Front 9 (Long/Dry/Gusty)
Tin ….. -9
Hook ….. -8
KJ ….. -7
Cope ….. -5
Magician ….. -3
Ron ….. +2

Back 9 (Long/dry/Breezy)
Magician ….. -8
cope ….. -7
Tin ….. -6
Hook ….. -6
KJ ….. -5

I asked the guys how they rate the course. All agreed it is a top tier A-List course. One guy even wanted to rate it an 11 on a scale of 1-10. I even forgive Terry for the small spike I found on one of the greens. That was the only one any of us saw the entire round. I thought it was hilarious that Terry just happened to be watching when I hit it. Oh man... did he get some crap about that... lol.

Thanks for the great course Terry. Keep em coming.
Dar
hookster
Chronic Slicer

Post by hookster »

Very well done bro. I loved the narrow fairways that usually ran the opposite way we were teeing of but still shot -8 on the front and -8 on the back. The course was well layed out and easy on the eyes. Enjoyed the hell out of it. Glad to see your still putzing with courses. Was a pleasant suprise when Dar said you had 1 coming out soon. Keep em coming bud.