Textures

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Textures

Post by LinksLegend »

Hi guys,

Just fiddling around with some textures and wondered what the maximum size is that the arch can take. I've seen 800x800 mentioned but is this the max? Is there a max file size (in KBs)? Do they have to be 8-bit BMPs or have we subsequently worked out other formats can be used?

Thanks!
LL
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Textures

Post by BrianZ111 »

Textures can be as big as your computer can handle. It doesn't necessarily provide a benefit though because the resolution of the texture on the terrain is fixed. A bigger texture will cover a bigger area though and therefore the tessellation pattern will repeat fewer times in a given area. All textures have to be 8-bit bmp.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the help mate. Shame that we can't improve the quality and size of the textures to better the look in the game as our computers are now more than capable of handling it...

Cheers!
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I experimented a lot with this because I wanted to temporarily bring in a satellite image as a texture to fill the plot so I could then trace shapes and place objects on with ease. The biggest texture I could get in before getting memory errors was about 15,000 x 15,000 pixels and that only covered about 100 x 100 yards. So I was actually wanting to lower the resolution it would map the texture at. It would of course be great to be able to go the other way too but unfortunately hacking the exe to change that is over my head.