Steve Williams: Out of line?

Discuss real golf.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Steve Williams: Out of line?

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

If you've followed the sports news, you're probably aware of the following:
1. Steve Williams was Tiger Woods' long time caddy who was with him for (IIRC) 13 of his major wins and most of his other wins.
2. Two months ago Williams began carrying the bag for Adam Scott just as a tourney to tourney thing. At this point it wasn't clear if Woods would play again this year.
3. Last month Woods fired him, and he became Scott's permanent caddy.
4. In an interview in New Zealand, Williams said that he had "wasted the last two years of my life."
5. Yesterday Adam Scott won the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational by 3 strokes with a final round 65 (-5). Woods opened on Thursday with a 68 but shot 71, 72, 70 to finish at +1/T37.
6. In a post-tourney interview Williams said that "this was the best win of my career."

So do you think that Williams went too far? Should he have been interviewed to begin with?

Frankly, anything that causes Woods' fans pain and suffering brings me great joy.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Re: Steve Williams: Out of line?

Post by tincup »

I saw the interview Indy and was a little surprised at the comment, but if you think about it, you can see where he is coming from.

I think there is a lot more to the firing story. I think Williams was truely stunned and hurt that Tiger fired him, given their unprecedented success together. Plus, they were very close outside of golf on a personal basis. It doesn't surprise me that Williams would take every opportunity to stick it to Tiger. I think it is poetic justice that Williams was caddying for the winner of the Bridgestone while Tiger wallowed in the middle of the pack. Truth be known, Tiger may not have won as many tourneys as he did without a caddy like Williams.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

I don't think Williams was out of line. He was well received by the fans for the first time in a long time and was elated.
I don't think Tiger thought through his decision to fire Williams.
Stan
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Yeh when Stevie was walking beside Scott on the walk up the 18th fairway and the fans were chanting his name, I flashed on Sallie Field winning her second Oscar: "You like me. You really like me." I don't think I've ever seen him smile before this weekend but then I didn't watch much of Woods playing, but he looked like he was REALLY enjoying himself.

I'm looking forward to his book coming out at Christmas: "Clawed Balls: The Real Tiger Woods Story." :bg:
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

After Williams was fired a comedian (I don't remember who) commented,
" I don't think Tiger has forgiven him for not giving him the distance to that hydrant."
Stan
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Caddies come and go on the pro tours except the top 25% or so. But Tiger seems to have poor people skills and theres a right and wrong way to say "your fired". Call Donald Trump. :laugh: Stevie Willams book should have some goodies in it.

Stan! Good joke about the hydrant. I have it at 92 yards with a strong left to right cross wind at 24mph . Be careful of the driveway burm , the tree or an angry wife with a 3 iron you may find trouble.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Steve

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

good caddying !
Stan