The Open

Discuss real golf.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

The Open

Post by Polslad »

Well,
The big show starts tomorrow, I have the time booked off work and will be spending 12 hours a day in front of the TV (hopefully, maybe have to walk the dog occaisionally).
As you can imagine, the press over here cannot see past Rory McIllroy, he is THE show, got it won already if you believe what you read (by them, not him, he's quite down to earth and level headed).
Other than that, we have the world No 1 & 2 with Luke Donald and Lee Westwood (who must be due one).
Same as last year though, the winner could come from anywhere. Haven't had a bet yet, just can't pick anyone.
I still have a mental image of big Phil with the Claret Jug at some point, hows he been going recently?
Last time at St Georges, an absolute unknown by the name of Ben Curtis took the title, and don't forget Todd Hamilton at Troon.
That's the joy of the Open, it really is open!
Tiger who?
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Re: The Open

Post by Stan Nehilla »

I've set my alarm for 4:00 AM EDT - USA

Pot of coffee and TV. :bg: :bg: :bg:
Stan
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Is that tomorrow or yesterday Stan?
Bloody time difference!
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

IIRC Phil came in second at Riviera but otherwise has had a pretty lackluster season. I don't really see an American winning it this year; there's just way too much overseas talent. I hope McIlroy does well, but I don't think I'd ever bet on golf. It's just too iffy; the guy who shot the lights out last week frequently ends up in the middle of the pack the following week; I'm not certain but I don't the US tour has any two time winners this year.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Pols,

Woke today at 4:00 AM

I hope the wind continues for the rest of The Open. It will be interesting. :laugh:
Stan
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

I also got up at 4:00 AM to watch (9:00 AM for you Pols). I'm thoroughly impressed with Bjorn erasing the demons from 2003 to take the early lead.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Tom Lewis (A) 1st round leader as of this post. He's 20 but looks 15.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Weather forcast for Saturday is almost biblical in predicting doom!
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

How about Tom Watson competing with the kids. :up: :up: :up:

And I like the Open weather. :bg: :laugh:
Stan
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Saturday night, post-3rd round. I'm really impressed with how this year's event is going. especially the storm this morning. Tom Watson is so impressive... if he was 30 again he'd win this in a walk.

Looks like the networks were a little premature in crowning Rory as the next great thing. However, if he somehow comes back tomorrow to win it, wow the kid has a bright bright future. I'm pulling for Clarke really, but with a certain golfer out of the picture, there's really no one I want to see lose/not win. Kinda nice. If Clarke had been able to make even half of the makeable birdies he had today, he'd be leading by 4 or 5. I wonder if that'll bite him in the butt tomorrow?
Last edited by Indy Anna Jones on July 17th, 2011, 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.