Wisconsin State Amateur Qualifying

Discuss real golf.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Wisconsin State Amateur Qualifying

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yesterday I was in a qualifier for the Wisconsin State Amateur. The qualifying site I was in was at Bull's Eye where there were 6 spots available for 43 players. 857 players state wide were trying to qualify with 120 qualifying spots available. The tournament will be played at Erin Hills (future site of the 2017 US Open).

Things were going well and I was pretty consistent most of the round although I missed 10 - 12 foot birdie putts on three of the four par 5's. After 9 pars in a row from holes 8 through 16 the skies opened up with a downpour of rain on 17. I hit my drive in the right trees and had to punch out with a long shot remaining yet, then I lost the grip to the water on my 3 wood and chunked it about 50 yards down the fairway. I hit it on from there with a 5 iron and 2 putted for a 6. It was tricky to hit anything after that with the rain, it was heavy enough that it was starting to puddle on the fairways and greens but we were the last group and they wanted to get it in. I took the wrists out of it and used a 3/4 body and arms only swing and managed a driver down the middle on 18 and 7 iron into the middle of the green. The 25 footer with a foot of left to right break missed low as it lost speed so I ended up with 77 when I needed 75 (would have been a 4 players for 3 spots playoff if I came in at 75). It was a good round but disappointing to come that close and have it end that way. It was still fun though, my game is definitely improving and I'm looking forward to continued improvement and future tournaments. :up:

Results are posted here, you can see my scores by clicking on my name: http://wsga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/wsga1 ... rboard.htm
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Wisconsin State Amateur Qualifying

Post by SteveHorn »

Brian! You gave it your best and that's all you can do. Maybe next year the golfing gods will be more kind. Just remember that old saying "You drive for show but putt for doe."
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Wisconsin State Amateur Qualifying

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yeah I think I need to get to be a bit better putter to get to the next level. I'm a very good lag putter, and solid from inside 5 feet so I rarely 3 putt but it doesn't seem like I make enough from 10 to 20 feet.