Who are your teams?

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Who are your teams?

Post by BrianZ111 »

bryce wrote:Try being a Duke football fan :/ That is what got me interested in Duke to begin with, believe it or not! Despite the fact that David Cutcliffe has turned them into a winning team, they still have not won a bowl game since before I was born. Nineteen wins in the last 2 seasons almost equals the total for the previous 15 seasons!

Once again, the schedule is weak and the season looks promising, except for Kelby Brown being out for the season AGAIN. I still have no clue who will replace Anthony Boone at QB either.
Yeah that's what the Badgers were like before Barry Alvarez came to town. Hopefully you'll be able to hold on to your coach for a long time as well and he won't run off to some bigger name school first chance he gets like a lot of them do.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Does anybody remember Doomsday, The Purple People Eaters or The Fearsome Foursome.
I asked Greg about these nicknames: Dallas defense of the early '70s; Minnesota defense of the late '60s early '70s; not sure but thinks the LA Rams of the '60s.

Lew Alcindor aka Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

MLB: Used to be the Braves but I haven't watched baseball in a decade.
NFL: Colts, Peyton Manning (I still don't like Denver.)
NBA: Never watched it, nor NHL.
Golf: Bubba Watson (Greg Norman is still my all time favorite)
LPGA: Brittany Lincicome

I love women's volleyball and gymnastics, but I don't have any favorite team or people.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Indy! You nailed the nicknames but I think the Rams front four nickname may have lasted into the early 70's with Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen still on the line. I'd love to know how many sacks Deacon Jones would have had but that stat wasn't around back then. Seemed like whenever I saw them play he was always all over the QB's. Most of the nicknames were because of the teams front four lineman. The last one I didn't mention was "The Steel Curtain"
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Oh yea Indy, Greg Norman was my favorite too. And I also don't like Denver! :)
Parrothead
Chronic Slicer

Post by Parrothead »

College football - Auburn - don't know why, watched an Iron Bowl game in the 80's and kinda adopted them.

NHL - Leafs - I'm a long suffering Leafs fan. Highlight of the current season, the tribute to Sittler on the 40th anniversary of his 10 pt game against the Bruins in Feb. '76. Dave Keon being named as one of the players to be honoured on "Legends Row" , oh yeah current season - the young guys have been playing well enough. For the first time since 1970, all canadian based NHL franchises will miss the playoffs.

MLB - Blue Jays.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Parrrothead! I had no idea that all the Canadian teams will miss the playoffs this season. Canada the home of Ice Hockey must be mourning. My Blue Jackets continue to be crappy even though they have some good talent.