Who are your teams?

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Who are your teams?

Post by bryce »

Since Sandwedge, Steve and I were discussing football, it has made me curious as to who likes which teams or schools. I would like to know what sports and teams everyone from outside the states is into, such as Rugby. I've always been fascinated by rugby, but we don't have it. I know Steve is an Ohio State fan in college sports, but what about other sports. I have lived in North Carolina my whole life and was into sports before the Panthers, Hurricanes or Hornets (Bobcats) were ever thought of.

My teams:
College: Duke Blue Devils
NFL: San Diego Chargers -- I watched Dan Fouts as a child
NBA: Detroit Pistons --- Go ahead and laugh!
NHL: Carolina Hurricanes -- Starting getting into hockey when they came to town. NC does not exactly have the climate to play hockey outside or I may have liked it as a kid
MLB -- Baltimore Orioles -- Cal Ripken Jr. was my favorite.

We may have done this before, but I can't remember
Doron
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Who are your teams?

Post by SteveHorn »

I'm not nearly as big a sports fan as I used to be. The only thing I MUST WATCH is Ohio State football. I also watch as many OSU basketball games as I can but I miss alot of them. I'm a FICKLE FAN. When I was very young my father and I would always watch the Notre Dame football 1 hour replay every Sunday morning (only 3 TV channels back then). Loved Notre Dame then hate them now. Then I started watching the NFL and AFL in the afternoons (I liked the AFL better) Those as they say were the good ol' days. Does anybody remember Doomsday, The Purple People Eaters or The Fearsome Foursome.
Living in Columbus you basically choose either between Cleveland or Cincinnati to root for except there's alot of Steeler fans also. I liked the Browns then but when they traded my favorite player and Hall of Famer Paul Warfield I switched to the Bengals who now have a lousy owner and coach. I'm just a casual NFL fan now. Today it seems more like the CFL then the NFL I grew up loving and watching. This is mostly due too rule changes over the years that have piled up against the defense year after year after year. Fantasy football helps me keep interested (I'm in 3 leagues this season)
I was also a HUGE Cincinnati Reds fan in the 70's and 80's. Would listen to every game on the radio back when they were called THE BIG RED MACHINE. However in the mid to late 80's on with all the lockouts and then strikes (almost evey year it was something) then canceling of the World Series I said (the hell with baseball.)
I aso watched alot of NBA in the late 60's 70's and 80's. It started with me being a Lakers and Bucks fan. I really liked Jerry West for the Lakers and Lew Alcindor for the Bucks and his unstopable sky hook. (does anybody know who that really is?)
At one time Hockey was my favorite sport and its making a come back for me now that we have our own team here in the city and also that they are showing signs of no longer a struggling expansion team that wouldn't spend money. It looks like we finnally have a good team with a quality coach and a top notch general manager in John Davidson. Now all the sport needs is to get rid of Gary Betman.
It seems in some sports I'm more a fan of certain players then a team. Example I think Peyton Manning is possibly the greatest quartback ever and will watch him play whenever possible but I'm not a Denver Bronco's fan or was I a Colts fan.
(I MUST BE CRAZY.)

My Teams
College - Ohio State
NFL - Bengals (barely)
NBA - Good Question, Is Bird and Magic still playing How about Jordon?:laugh:
NHL - Blue Jackets
MLB - Whats that? Oh yeah now I remember
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Pretty Straight forward for me:

College: Wisconsin Badgers
NFL: Green Bay Packers
MLB: Milwaukee Brewers

For the Badgers it's mainly football but I do like to watch the basketball team when it's NCAA tournament time.

The NBA I think I've never watched more then a couple minutes of a game. I guess if the Milwaukee Bucks ever made the finals I might watch it.

Hockey is N/A. There's no Wisconsin team. I can't figure out how all these southern states who've never even seen snow have hockey teams and Wisconsin doesn't. :shrug: I might take an interest if we ever get a team.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

BrianZ111 wrote:Pretty Straight forward for me:
I can't figure out how all these southern states who've never even seen snow have hockey teams and Wisconsin doesn't. :shrug: I might take an interest if we ever get a team.
Carolina's team used to be the Hartford Whalers. Even when the Hurricanes won the cup, it didn't seem to be that big of a deal. I don't even think it was mentioned on the first page of the local papers in this part of the state. When the Panthers made the Super Bowl, it was mentioned on the local news every night for 2 months.....and they lost!
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

May the best team who has a W in their name win tonight. (Sorry Bryce) :bg:
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Ahh its Brians team against Dorons team. It doesn't really matter to me who wins but I kind of hope that Wisconsin wins to get the Big Ten a national title.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

It's been a few months, so hopefully no hard feelings :)
If it's any consolation, as a San Diego Charger fan, I am ecstatic about getting Melvin Gordon!
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron! Wisconsin year in and year out has had fantastic running backs for at least the past two decades. However that success has not turned any of them into well polished and high yardage NFL backs. Is Gordon going to break that string? I like his chances if Phillip Rivers is the QB. Only time will tell.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

It's tough. Now it looks like Bo Ryan is going to retire so not sure what's going to happen in the next few years. I'm more of a football fan then basketball though so it would have been harder to take coming up just short if it was football. Would have liked to seen Melvin Gordon stay for his senior year so no it doesn't help. :laugh:
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Try being a Duke football fan :/ That is what got me interested in Duke to begin with, believe it or not! Despite the fact that David Cutcliffe has turned them into a winning team, they still have not won a bowl game since before I was born. Nineteen wins in the last 2 seasons almost equals the total for the previous 15 seasons!

Once again, the schedule is weak and the season looks promising, except for Kelby Brown being out for the season AGAIN. I still have no clue who will replace Anthony Boone at QB either.