Football is here!

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Football is here!

Post by bryce »

Since football season is upon us, I'm curious to see who has as their favorite team, and maybe some predictions too. I'm a huge Duke fan, and following a good season (good for Duke) of 6-7, it's probably down hill from here. Duke has a very weak non-conference schedule, so I say my team goes 5-7 this year. I live right in the heart of ACC country, and people are constantly dogging the rival conference of the SEC. Despite all the fuss, most people still believe the SEC to be the best conference by far.

As for the rest of the NCAA's: Louisville has the best chance to go undefeated, but if they do, will they get to play for the title? They proved they were for real after beating Florida in last years Sugar Bowl. However, I think they will lose at least one game to a team they should not lose to, but still run away the American Athletic Conference title. Ohio State is another team that experts feel has a weak schedule, and could go undefeated. I disagree. I think Wisconsin is underrated (#22), and will defeat Ohio State on the road this year. Wisconsin goes to the Rose bowl. Clemson and Florida State are by far the best 2 teams in the ACC, and I feel the winner of that game will win the conference title. Clemson plays Georgia tonight, and I predict Clemson's high powered offense will win against Georgia's young unproven defense. Florida State has a solid defense, and will use that to win the ACC. Oklahoma will win the wide open Big 12 (I think). Alabama is once again loaded with talent and is expected to win the title again. I think they beat Texas A&M this year and go on to win the SEC. The PAC 12 is getting stronger, and this year there are 5 teams ranked in the preseason polls. I think Stanford spoils Oregon's chances again, and wins the PAC.

Who plays for the title? There are 10 teams I could see playing for the title this year, but the 2 that stick out the most are Alabama (of course) and Florida State. Alabama does not play Florida, Georgia or South Carolina, unless they play in the SEC title game. That leaves Texas A&M, who looks lousy today, and LSU who has no offense. Florida State only has 3 games that should even make them sweat at all: Clemson, NC State and Florida. NC State is a constant sore in their side, and always plays them tough. I see both teams going 13-0 and playing in the championship. You heard it here first.....Alabama beats Florida State in the BCS Title game.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Football is here!

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron!1 Bold prediction1 We'll see if your right come early next year. I'm a HUGE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES fan. I've lived in Columbus most of my life (abouit 8 miles from campus) and started following OSU since there national championship in 1968. (11years old then). Even though they're ranked #2 cuurently and just beat Buffalo at home 40 to 20 they need alot of improvement. They have a ton of potential, are very young and raw. They had several starters out in week #1 and I have alot of faith in Urban Meyer. ( best coach here since Woody in my opinion.)
Alabama is most eveyone's choice ( 3 national titles out of the last 4 I believe) and still have a ton of talent. However I don't know why my gut say's they won't win it all again this year. I hope OSU can improve and avoid major injuries but as of today I'm unsure. Oregon is due but has a new head coach. Stanford is ranked high but do they have the raw talent to win it all? Georgia is another powerhouse SEC team but alot of people don't think highly of there head coach. I'm pretty confident an SEC team will be in the National Championship game but after 7 or 8 straight wins in the title game I think another will win.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Steve, I saw some of that OSU-Buffalo game, and it was a little iffy at times. However, OSU started off like a championship team, going up 23-0 in the first quarter. They are very good, and it would not surprise anyone if they did go undefeated. I just think Wisconsin is the total package in the Big 10, and match up really well with OSU. They are good enough to win it all too.

Just want to mention, Duke is up 42-0 in the third quarter over NC Central! Nothing to brag about really.....unless you're a Duke football fan, like me.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

USA just beat El Tri (Mexico) 2-0 to qualify most likely for their 7th straight World Cup! Isn't that the best Yank football at the moment?! :laugh: They did it without Jozy Altidore too - congrats guys! Sorry, couldn't resist :laugh:
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

sandwedge wrote:USA just beat El Tri (Mexico) 2-0 to qualify most likely for their 7th straight World Cup! Isn't that the best Yank football at the moment?! :laugh: They did it without Jozy Altidore too - congrats guys! Sorry, couldn't resist :laugh:
:up:
We (Americans) are raised to know football as American football, and everyone else's football is soccer! I was an all-star in my YMCA league as a youngster in soccer, a.k.a. football, but my school did not have it when I was in high school. I was impressed that the U.S. defeated Mexico however, Mexico has not fared well in qualifying this time around with only 1 win. American football is my favorite sport to watch, college or pro.

Doron
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

The U.S. team love playing Mexico here in Columbus. We've beaten them( 2-0 ) 3 straight times at Crew Stadium (about 12 minutes from my house.)
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Wisconsin is really in a rebuilding phase now, stating out with a new coach. I'm glad Bielema left, I think Gary Andersen is going to be a great coach, but it is a few years down the line yet. I predict they will finish 4th in the Big Ten this year.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

The Big Ten continues to struggle against other teams outside there conference. Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska, Illinois and Purdue all lost. Michigan could have also lost. Akron had two chances inside the Michigan 5 yard line at the end of the game to pull out a victory. I think Akron was 1 - 11 last season in the MAC. Nebraska blew a 21 - 3 lead AT HOME, then got blown out the rest of the game. If this conference wants National respect it must do better in its non conference games.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Well Wisconsin probably would have won if there were competent officials running the game. With 18 seconds left Stave downed the ball to get it centered in the field for the winning field goal. Normally this is plenty of time to spike it right away afterwards but in this case instead of spotting the ball the refs literally just stand around and look confused until there is 1 second left and no chance to get a spike in to stop the clock. There's no guarantee he would have made the field goal but it was a pretty short one, I think they were on the 12 yard line.

If you want to win you better be a lot better than the other team because if it's close the refs will decide it. Don't know about other teams but it's been happening to the Packers and Badgers repeatedly and I'm getting sick of it to the point that I'm probably not going to watch too many more games this year.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

SteveHorn wrote: Akron had two chances inside the Michigan 5 yard line at the end of the game to pull out a victory. I think Akron was 1 - 11 last season in the MAC.
That game had an eerie similarity to the Michigan Appalachian State game about 5 years ago, when App State (which is about an hour from my home) went into Michigan and won. App State won the FCS Championship that year, so it wasn't as bad as it was made out to be. Losing to a MAC school with that record last year would have been so bad for the Wolverines.
BrianZ111 wrote:Well Wisconsin probably would have won if there were competent officials running the game. With 18 seconds left Stave downed the ball to get it centered in the field for the winning field goal. Normally this is plenty of time to spike it right away afterwards but in this case instead of spotting the ball the refs literally just stand around and look confused until there is 1 second left and no chance to get a spike in to stop the clock. There's no guarantee he would have made the field goal but it was a pretty short one, I think they were on the 12 yard line.
I saw the end of that one. They should have pulled the Arizona State player off of the ball, since Stave downed it and stepped away. The refs looked confused because Stave was in a hurry to get lined up and didn't drop to the ground but for a split second, but it was obviously not a fumble. If every play in college football is reviewed, which they are supposed to be, then that one should have been.