Robert Wagers

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Robert Wagers

Post by tincup »

I received a phone call from Robert last evening. He called me to let me know what was going on with him. By the end of the call, I was nearly in tears.

For those of you who may not know Robert, he is one of our most senior designers in the PGA2000 game. He has been battling cancer for several years now. He is a good friend to many of us here.

Robert had just gotten back from still another hospital trip. Apparently, he is accumulating fluid in his body cavity (cause unknown) and it has to be drained periodically. The fluid begins to crowd vital organs and he has trouble breathing, among other things. In this latest visit, they drained over 4 liters of fluid!

Robert tells me that his latest (and final) bone marrow transplant from his donor sister, didn’t work. He says his body is not producing any new blood and he is surviving on transfusions at this point.

The massive doses of cancer medications over the past several years have taken a heavy toll. For example, Robert was recently diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. Heaven knows how many other vital organs have been damaged by those toxic medications.

Robert says his doctors have told him that they are out of treatment options… that there is really nothing more they can do for him. He says the doctors are now estimating his life expectancy in days or hours and not weeks, months or years. He has put his affairs in order and is ready to face what appears to be the inevitable.

As you can imagine, as he spoke to me, he sound down and dejected. He said "he was just sick and tired of being sick and tired."

Robert wanted me to convey how much the PGA community has meant to him over the years. Please join me in a prayer for Robert and his family.

Dar
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Robert Wagers

Post by BrianZ111 »

I was afraid of getting bad news since we hadn't heard from him in a long time. :( My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Wage will be in the Nehilla family's constant prayers.
We can't do more as much as we wish.

Wage, when you read this, know that we all care.
Stan
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I hate to say this, Dar, but I've been waiting for this post for some time now. Robert has faced a long and difficult battle and has fought with more courage, patience and optimism than I think I could have ever faced it with. Like you it makes me feel very sad and I pray for Robert and the Wagers' family the strength and acceptance they need to face this final test.

Robert is still at the very top of the list of excellent PGA2K course designers, and I have to say that anytime that some aspect of one of my (our) course designs was mentioned in the same breath as The Master I was tickled pink.

God bless you Robert. We love you.
:(
Last edited by Indy Anna Jones on May 21st, 2012, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

In one way I'm shocked, stunned. Back in the fall and winter It had looked like the bone marrow transplant had worked beautifully. But since we haven't heard anything in the past few months I feared something had gone wrong. I don't really know what else to say that hasn't already been said. He has always been my favorite designer and I'm currently playing my U.S. Open at one of my favorite designs of Wagers - Tomahawk Run. Good luck Robert on your next journey. You will be deeply missed by all who love and admire you.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Sad news indeed.
Probably the best designer ever.
Thoughts are with his family.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Just saw this - Can't add to what has been said, but I can add my name to the list of those who care about what happens next.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Not much else to be said. I will continue to pray for Robert and his family. It's never easy losing a loved one, but it's even harder in one so young. God bless you Robert.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

I received a call from Robert's wife, Andrea this morning. Robert is still with us, but is back in the hospital. He is not doing well and is slipping in and out of consciousness. Andrea was crying and I had trouble making out everything she said. She asked that we continue to pray for Robert. I assured her that we would.

Dar
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

I am very sad to report that Robert Wagers, our friend, passed away on Saturday May 26, 2012 at about 1 pm Eastern time.

Robert's wife, Andrea, told me that he was not in pain. He just drifted away and was gone. He has been fighting this awful disease since 2005. He was tired and frail. Andrea told me he had lost a hundred pounds and was skin and bones. I am inclined to think he just said "the hell with it, I'm outta here". I can't blame him. Being deathly sick all the time is no way to live.

The funeral will be held this coming Wednesday, the 30th.

Dar