Quotes on Royal St Georges

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Quotes on Royal St Georges

Post by Polslad »

Found these whilst doing a bit of 'research'!

Top 10 Comments Overheard at Royal St. Georges

10. "If you can't see France, it's raining; If you can see France, it's about to rain," by Fred H. of Atlanta.

9. "Don't want to say Phil Mickelson is struggling but he's trying to keep his putts low and into the wind," by Marvin G. of St. Louis.

8. "Despite counseling by John Daly, it appears Tiger Woods pulled out of the British Open because he hates warm beer," by Susan M. of Chattanooga, Tenn.

7. "Are you sure I can't pick up the ball and throw it? Who's gonna see me down in this bleepin' bunker?" by Lisa A. of Benson, N.C.

6. "Would somebody tell John Daly that the Claret Jug is not an ashtray?" by Mark M. of Apopka, Fla.

5. "Has anyone seen Rory? His ball went into the Himalayas bunker yesterday and nobody has seen him since," by Jason K. of Des Moines.

4. The chief groundskeeper said to an American player: "You spoiled Yanks make me laugh. We take care of our grass the proper way. See those sheep..." by Doug E. of Altamonte Springs, Fla.

3. "Is there a plaque marking where the lunar module landed?" by Janice H. of Palo Alto, Calif.

2. John Daly was overheard saying: "They told me to wear a jacket in the clubhouse but I don't have one with sleeves," by Ben M. of Peoria, Ill.

1. "Back in the '80s they had a clubhouse sign that read 'No dogs -- No women,' but they've come a long way since then. Now they welcome dogs," by John B. of Newark, N.J.

If you are not watching the Open, you should be. After all, you might spot a missing golfer and be able to help the search parties. Tiger, you'll be watching, right?
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Re: Quotes on Royal St Georges

Post by Polslad »

And I love this one about the 'Wee Ice Mon'.

Imagine him as he scrutinises a long, difficult stroke, with arms quietly folded, an inscrutable quarter smile on his lips, for all the world like a gambler watching the wheel spin. And then the cigarette is tossed away, the club taken with abrupt decision, the glorious swing flashes and a long iron pierces the wind like an arrow.
- Pat Ward-Thomas (on Ben Hogan's 1953 Open victory at Carnoustie)