Japanese Earthquake

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Japanese Earthquake

Post by tincup »

I have been looking at some of the AP photos of Japan in the aftermath of the 8.9 earthquake and the resulting Tsunami. It is hard to wrap your head around how much damage was done. It really makes you stop and think about how insignificant and vulnerable man is to the whims of nature.

In the grand scheme of geologic events, nothing all that unusual has happened here. Earthquakes from shifting tectonic plates happens every day. This one just happened to be a huge one and it happened near population centers. The results are tragic in terms of human life lost and devestated, man-made infrustructure. It will take years and untold billions of dollars/Yen to rebuild.

My heart goes out to the Japenese people, especially those who lost loved ones in this horrible disaster.

Dar :(
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Japanese Earthquake

Post by SteveHorn »

Dar ! Well said. I don't think most people realize how big or bad a disaster this is in northern part of Japan. Think of Katrina when it hit New Orleans then magnify that times 10 with most buildings either flattened or damaged beyond repair. Also entire highways washed away or severly damaged. Its very sad.
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Re: Japanese Earthquake

Post by Robert D. Wagers »

I echo your words Dar!
The thing one should consider when viewing the damage in Japan is that:
Japan is MORE-DEVELOPED than any other nation in the world for handling Earthquakes and tsunami's. They spend more time/money in the design of their buildings designs, infrastructure design, drilling/training of their citizens, than any other country.
With that said, if it had been a "3rd-world-country," the damage and loss of life would have been even more Enormous than it was!

The looks on their faces pull at my heart-strings!
Good topic Dar!

Wage