game won't install

Help with questions or problems.
DC#1
Tour Contender

game won't install

Post by DC#1 »

I just bought a new PC win8.1. I have the original titanium edition disks and when I click autoplay I get "autoplay.exe-entry point not found. The procedure entry point AppCacheLookup could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\urlmon.dll. I went in the system 32 and found the urlmon.dll. Any ideas as what could be the problem?
DC#1
Tour Contender

Re: game won't install

Post by DC#1 »

Sorry Brian I posted this in WGC instead of PGA 2000. Can you move this post to the PGA technical help.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Is their a possible dll file missing in windows 8.1 that windows XP had to run the game? Just a thought.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I don't know, I didn't have that problem installing on Windows 8. I don't know about 8.1 but I wouldn't think there would be a big difference.
seopfer
Chronic Slicer

Post by seopfer »

BrianZ111 wrote:I don't know, I didn't have that problem installing on Windows 8. I don't know about 8.1 but I wouldn't think there would be a big difference.
Read my "deleting swap files" thread. Windows 8 and 8.1 is "creepy" in what it remembers/records about what you're doing on the system. The PGA coding just totally buys into that premise because it dumps "memory" but 8 and 8.1 take that "dump" to the extreme....much more than any coder could've foreseen back in 99. It was actually YOU who recommended going back to a restore point and that approach worked like a charm.

BTW--The dll file is to run the video on startup. No big deal. The windows/system32 folder architecture is a little different from Win 98/2000 to Windows 8; that's probably why it doesn't work anymore.
Course Design Consultant for PGA Championship Golf 2000 by Sierra Sports and Headgate Studios
http://www.steveopfer.com
http://sola.nsu.edu/seopfer
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

I even tried copying the sierra folder from an old xp machine that runs pga and put it on my new pc and got "cannot find file, you must re-install pga championship golf" when I tried to open it. Would it make a difference where you put the folder ( i'm referring to the path file) and my pc is a 64 bit.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

David! Have you tried turning off your firewall and anti virus. The only problems I've had with windows 8 is when I had a different firewall and anti virus then what I currently have. Maybe even uninstall your current firewall and anti virus then try installing PGA 2000. Or I heard installing PGA 2000 as a different person (profile) has worked.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Steve, you're a genius!!! Turned off firewall and anti-virus and it installed. Had a little trouble as when I put in CD1 it came up with that same message,then the PGA icon showed up in the bottom taskbar and the install window popped up. Thanks again, I'm a happy camper.