Rookie Architct Issues

Help with questions or problems.
thejester1977
Weekend Duffer

Rookie Architct Issues

Post by thejester1977 »

Hi folks. I'm working on my first course now. It's probably going to be dreadful, but we all have to learn somehow, eh? :laugh:

I have 3 issues and a general question I wanted to ask you all about...

1.) I have an island with about a 6 foot elevation difference to the mainland. I know it's just aesthetics, but I can't get a bridge to look right because of the elevation difference. Any wisdom on this anyone can share with me?

2.) I had a "whoops" click on the hole definition tool (attached pic). Is there any way to "start over" with hole definitions?

3.) How do I snug textures directly next to each other tight? I end up with a thin strip between elements not created by the duplicate-and-inflate method all the time, and it's quite frustrating...

Thank you in advance!!

Chris
AKA TheJester1977
Attachments
Hole Definition - Oops.png
(166.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Rookie Architct Issues

Post by BrianZ111 »

I'll let someone else take number 1.

2) Click on the shot point you want to get rid of and press the delete key.

3) You can't, it's a limitation of the architect program. Shapes can't cross or touch when dropped because they also create poly lines in the elevation mesh when you drop them. This is great for using shapes to create defined elevation changes like bunker lips but terrible when you want shapes to end against others like fairway leading up to greens. You either try to make it look like natural border or move one control point at a time as close as you can where it still drops. If you do the latter, beware you may run into the crashing/shattering problem: Re: It never fails!.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

thejester1977!
Not sure how others make bridges level but I go to the land with the low side an make a very small hill roughly the difference in height of the opposite side of the bridge. Keep the hill shape because you may need to adjust. Then I make a shape roughly 20' by 20', no need to be exact. Then I flatten the shape on max height and check what the height is on both sides of the bridge. If on max its to high I'll hit the undo button at the top of your screen then flatten on average and check the height on both sides. If its still a little lower I'll take my hill shape and raise it up or lower it if necessary and then do the flattening method over again. I'll do that method until I get both sides within 2" of each other. Then I smooth the edges of the side I've been adjusting and add my bridge with a few extra feet longer on both sides. Some bridges need more height adjusting then others. Also some size adjustments might be needed but don't make a single bridge to large just to make sure it crosses your gap. Instead you use two identical bridges, size them and drop them with one connected near the end of another and check to make sure they are identical in height and size. It sounds more complicated then it is and doesn't take very long to do once you get the hang of it. Hope this helps.
thejester1977
Weekend Duffer

Post by thejester1977 »

Thanks guys!!
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I know this is a few months late, but one think I always did designing and what I always advise others to do: SAVE, SAVE, SAVE. Before you make a significant, change, while you're making changes, after you make changes SAVE your course. There's nothing more frustrating than building some complex green or bunker, making some tiny change in it, then watching the whole thing shatter like a dropped mirror. You can always delete the saves later, but you can't undo those crashes.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Actually, I've found that you can repair those crashes, sometimes.
1. Run the repair tool.
or
2. Even when the course is shattered, you can lift the last shape/texture you dropped and then repair/optimise.