Help, please

Help with questions or problems.
oldhoosier
Range Rookie

Help, please

Post by oldhoosier »

Any help appreciated. My golfer's feet are off the bottom of the screen..over the lines, lots of flickering when the mouse is moved to the tri-click box and usually freezes the game before 4 holes are played. It freezes as the mouse is clicked. Windows 8 and have tried compatibility settings for XP, Win98 and Vista with no success.

I read an explanation to fix the flickering but can't make that work so far. How can I get the golfer totally inside the game?? Probably an easy way but I can't figure it out. Thanks.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Help, please

Post by SteveHorn »

oldhoosier! Screen resolution shouldn't matter, so at the top right portion of your screen when playing a round of golf is a small square with a camera on it. Click on it to open and set to default settings. This should correct your problem.
oldhoosier
Range Rookie

Post by oldhoosier »

That helped. Got through 7 holes this time. Will try some other settings but that definitely helped..the feet are almost inside the game frame now. Thank you!
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

You didn't mention your OS, but I'm assuming something beyond XP. You might have a compatibility problem. To fix it:

1. Right click on the PGA icon
2. Click on "compatibility"
3. Set "run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 2000"
4. Click on "disable visual themes"
5. Close the window and start your game.

There are other OS modes listed; W2000/98 were the OS's in use when the game was developed, so if the 2000 doesn't work right for you then try some others. I had to set my W-7 for XP (service pack 3) for it to work right.

Good luck.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

oldhoosier! If needed you can manually set the camera wherever you want it. Best is usually 9 to 12 feet of elevation and a few degrees of pitch down. There's a bar on the right for both the pitch and elevation you can move up and down with your mouse when in the camera mode. Hit apply to leave the camera in that position.The more down your pitch the more you'll see your feet. Click and hold on the camera with mouse when opened to move it with your mouse. Also all the numbers on your keyboard give you different views of the course when playing if needed. I use #1,2,4 and 0 frequently. Play with them to see the different views. Numbers 1 doesn''t follow the ball when landing but #2 does. Number 4 is an overhead view # 0 is a higher blimp view. You can also move your player before hitting your ball anywhere on the course by holding down the shift key moving your mouse to where you want to get a better look and clicking your mouse. To go back to your ball click on the icon in lower left area of screen then click "go to ball". Hope this helps.
oldhoosier
Range Rookie

Post by oldhoosier »

OS is Win8. It installed without a hitch but had a lot of flickering when the mouse was moved to the swing box, especially on short shots and putts. That was unplayable so the touchpad was disabled and mouse pointer slowed down on the wireless mouse.

FINALLY got the feet inside the frame and above the swing box doing as instructed with the camera position..thanks!

All compatibility options have been tried and failed to stop the freezing of the game (when the mouse is clicked to start a swing). This happens after 2 -8 holes at random. Will try to tweak.. 4. Click on "disable visual themes" as IndyAnna suggested,

The game plays very fast when working.. even on my modest I3 laptop with Intel 3000 integrated graphics. I do have 8 gig of ram which probably helps.

I really appreciate all the input and will try everything suggested. Perhaps the next step is a wired mouse or a different one with something other than Microsoft generic driver? This is still the best golf sim ever...started playing the 1999 version when it came out and have played it on Win98, XP, Vista and Win 7 though there were some crashes with Win 7.

The designers have created some wonderful courses and I hope the game will live on....