Switching Intel integrated Graphics to Nvidia Geforce Card

Help with questions or problems.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Switching Intel integrated Graphics to Nvidia Geforce Card

Post by stillgolfing »

Hoping there might be a techie here running PGA2000 in Win8.1 on a Laptop, that can help me out.
I noticed the initial course load times are extremely slow compared to my two XP machines (both very old and only having Nvidia integrated graphics cards). I specifically checked several courses across all three machines and found my laptop is about 26 times slower (for example Whistling Straights takes 4 and 6 seconds to load on the XP machines and 90 seconds on my new laptop). Since the default on the laptop is the onboard intel 4600 processor which has not been playing well with several other programs (particularly legacy apps), I was trying to affiliate them with the Laptop's other graphics card a Nvidia GeForce GT 740 . I have been posting on various related forums for help on this, but have had no unique responses so far (typically they suggest right clicking on the program icon to affiliate, in which case I usually get a window that tells me to use the Nvidia Control panel to do this. When I directly link the appropriate .exe file in this utility nothing changes. I also called HP warranty support first, but they insisted this is not a warranty issue and suggested I check/post on theirs and other Graphics related Help Forums.
Resolving this issue would solve several graphic problems across various apps so any help here would be much appreciated.
Thanks Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Switching Intel integrated Graphics to Nvidia Geforce Ca

Post by SteveHorn »

Dave! The graphics card may not be your problem. To me it seems like it might be a lot of unnecessary background apps running with high priority settings. Look in your task manager for settings of background apps and ones that can be deleted.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

SteveHorn wrote:Dave! The graphics card may not be your problem. To me it seems like it might be a lot of unnecessary background apps running with high priority settings. Look in your task manager for settings of background apps and ones that can be deleted.
Thanks for the idea Steve. Checked and found the typical Windows device/desktop managers doing their thing (total CPU usage flux btwn 1 and 5%, and mem btwn 10 and 20%); so I don't see this as an issue.
Cheers, Dave
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Steve;
Just wanted to thank you for pointing me in the right direction, regarding troubleshooting this issue. The culprits were the live START MENU apps. Although I have only the minimal number running and checking in the background (Mail, Sports, News, Weather, Finance and Microsoft Store) Apparently these were enough to cause issues with PGA2000. This is unusual as it really isn't a memory intensive program by modern standards. I can run my 3 Graphic Design programs concurrently with a huge hi res graphic design consisting of multiple layers and copy clips and cuts back and forth with no issues. Can't do that on my old XP machine which has no problem with loading the PGA 2000 courses. The good news is, because my new PC is a laptop, I can use "Flight Mode" to disconnect from the internet before starting PGA2000. After that courses load instantly .... amazing!
Thanks again, Dave