Arch file too slowing pc down

Help with questions or problems.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Arch file too slowing pc down

Post by bryce »

My arch file has gotten pretty big for what I am used to (52.4 MB), and now has contributed to burning all of my memory. The arch file itself is slow to load, save, optimize and compile. I expect this, and have dealt with it before. I do like to listen to my iTunes when I work on the arch, but have not experienced this with my last 2 courses, which I also completed on this pc. Now, if I leave the arch file on while I step away for a couple of hours then come back, I get a low memory message. It only does this when I compile. I have 1.5 GB of physical memory, and still seem to run out. When I had an older XP system, with 528 MB of memory, if I had that problem before, I don't remember it. This is why I plant when I am almost finished. I think it takes longer to load when you have a ton of objects.

Should I save and close the arch file when I step away?

Doron
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Arch file too slowing pc down

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron! Yes I would save and close your architect file if your away from your computer for any lenghtly period of time. Also it sounds like you have some unnessasry processes running that are eating up your memory. I don't know your operating system so I'll have to tell you what I do in windows xp. hopefully you can do the same with your system or know how to get to things I'll mention.
In start menu go to run and type msconfig and press ok. This will open your system configuration utility. There are several tabs at the top. In the services and startup tabs try to eliminate some items that run in the background on startup and use memory. There' s only usually a few in the services area you can check because you need most of the services on startup. Often you can eliminate many in the startup menu. Be extra careful what you select to turn off. At first it may be a little trial and error. Then what I do all the time is press CTRL-ALT-Delete. Hold the CTRL & ALT buttons at the same time and hit delete. This opens the Windows Task Manager. Open the processes tab. Leave things alone that under user name says "system". If it under user name it says "owner" except for "iexplore.exe, "explore.exe" or "taskmgr.exe" you can highlight that process then click the end process tab. A warning sign will come up but it comes up on any process reguardless of its importance. This should eliminate some of the memory issues.
I hope this helps
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: Arch file too slowing pc down

Post by bryce »

Steve, I had already closed a few thing in the task manager, and still had the issue. I have a cheap pc (emachine) with Windows 7, and have never had problems with performance. I finally was able to get it to compile. I had to turn off the pc, and once it started up I was able to compile. If it has been on for an hour or so, I can't compile. I have no problem loading or saving, other than the usual lengthy amount of time for an almost finished course. It actually compiled faster than when I save it. I haven't been able to playtest for almost a week now, but hopefully I can get these courses done.

Doron