Hanging Up on Opening Background in Windows 8

Help with questions or problems.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Hanging Up on Opening Background in Windows 8

Post by BrianZ111 »

I installed the game on my Windows 8 laptop. First of all when running setup it took forever for it to come up. I thought it wasn’t working but after about 3-4 minutes waiting it finally came up and then the install went fine. Now when I run it, it opens the PGA 2000 background but it just hangs there. The menus never come up and the music doesn't play. I've tried a number of different compatibility settings including all of the OS settings and nothing helps. Any ideas?
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Hanging Up on Opening Background in Windows 8

Post by BrianZ111 »

OK never mind. I restarted the computer and now it is working.
Diguelo
Chronic Slicer

Post by Diguelo »

Windows 8 is a pain in the butt Brian, change your background from an AERO to a basic one. Aeros are a pain in the rear too and cause a load of registry errors on old games.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yeah I didn't get Windows 8 by choice, was just wanting to get a laptop and that's all they sold on them. I could wipe it out and install an older OS but it hasn't been so bad to make me want to go through the work of doing that. Anyway it was a little tricky to get it to install PGA but it has run fine ever since.
Diguelo
Chronic Slicer

Post by Diguelo »

Thereby hangs a problem which everyone should be aware of.

If your thinking of downgrading your OS to an earlier version, before you do anything:-
1. Check that the motherboard supports it.
2. Make sure the OS supports touch screens which most of you will have that have windows 8 machines. You can bypass it using an external USB Keyboard and Mouse.
3. Check the laptops manufacturers site and make absolutely sure you can get drivers for older OS, in particular, Motherboard, Sound Card and Ethernet and Wireless. Video cards in laptops are pretty generic and the basic windows drivers will handle that.
4. Once youve installed the new OS and wiped the drive, youll more than likely hit a load of registry errors because windows 8 lappys have dedicated windows 8 motherboards in them and you may have to downgrade the BIOS to an earlier version if possible to get it to work. And yes they are getting that sneeky nowadays.

In short leave windows 8 installed and work the bugs out of it one by one. first thing I would recommend is back your game up somewhere on an ext hard drive etc then do a full uninstall, delete the sierra folder completely, then defrag your computer. Reinstall your game and you should find everything will work properly. I just stuffed it into my AMD64 Win 7 machine and it worked first time.

If you get any c++ errors that start in 3 reinstall Visual c++ redistributable 2005 sp1, this one tends to get attacked with every program added to a machine its like they wish it never existed and everyones writing stuff now just to out do their competitors. Any troubles email me diguelo@aol.com or admin@pcdatalincs.co.uk