Newb Question (Part Deux)

Help with questions or problems.
soxman
Range Rookie

Newb Question (Part Deux)

Post by soxman »

I've come back to PGA 2000 after a long break (last time I played, the Copyright Club was still active), and I've used the installer package hosted here.
The problem is that I can't seem to change the screen resolution. I've amended the sierra.ini file in the game's root dir to 1680*1050 (my native resolution) but this does not seem to have any effect in-game.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Re: Newb Question (Part Deux)

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

What type of OS are you using? I have an older computer (2005 Dell, XP) and have tried using different settings, but I've found that 1024x768, 32 bit still works best for me. I know some of our players have new model computers and W7, so maybe one of them can help you with this problem, but remember this is a 12-13 year old program that might not work so well with modern settings, but that's just speculation.

One more suggestion, setting compatability mode. Rt click on the PGA icon, select properties->compatibility. Set for W2000 and click on disable visual themes. Also did you download and install the 3.3.4.5 patch? You'll find this in the utilities section of this board; this corrected some of the problems with the first PGA2K version.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

soxman! With this game now over 12 years old the resolution you seek may be to high. My old computer is set at 1024 - 768
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

selecting the proper resolution should also consider the dimensions of your monitor. Most monitors today are rectangular, not square.

I will use my monitor as an example.
My monitor is 11.25 (height) by 20" (width). The ratio of Height to width is 11.25/20 = .5625.
So I selected a resolution of 1360 by 768. That ratio is 768/1360 = .5647 (close enough).

That resolution works fine for me. There is no noticable distortions or skewing that I can see.

Dar
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

PGA 2000 will automatically adjust to any monitor resolution set on your desktop, though you may have to adjust the camera angles in the game for different aspect ratios. If you're using an LCD monitor you're going to want to just use whatever the recommended resolution for your monitor is. LCDs don't adjust to other resolutions to well like CRTs did. You will get burling of the picture when the when the pixel count of the monitor doesn't match the resolution you are trying to display.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

BrianZ111 wrote:PGA 2000 will automatically adjust to any monitor resolution set on your desktop, though you may have to adjust the camera angles in the game for different aspect ratios. If you're using an LCD monitor you're going to want to just use whatever the recommended resolution for your monitor is. LCDs don't adjust to other resolutions to well like CRTs did. You will get burling of the picture when the when the pixel count of the monitor doesn't match the resolution you are trying to display.
That's good to know. My monitors max rez is 1280 x 1024 (32 bit colour), and that's what I have it set to in Windows settings. If PGA 2000 accepts this setting then possibly that is why some courses seem to have "oversharpened" plantings. Possibly I should try reduced settings similar to Indy's and see if that resolves the issue.
The reason I mention this problem again is that I always suspected it might be a Video Resolution related. Recently, the same issue surfaced over @ Links Corner. Now, in Links2003, some members with new Win7 machines and HD monitors are experiencing what they also describe as "oversharpening" (this is a legitamate term, by the way and is used by photographers, manipulating pics in Programs like Photoshop, Twisted Brush or Picassa to descibe what happens when you get carried away trying to sharpen a photo). The general effect is like little shiny silvery pixels get spackled throughout certain objects.
Cheers, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Mine will go up (down?) to 1360*768 but it makes everything real small and I can only stretch the visible screen to cover about 75% of my monitor surface; it also includes making the shot bar about 1/2 size, so I just stuck with the 1024*768.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

I personally have to play in full screen mode, but now that I have a widescreen monitor, I could not see over the trees like I could with my older one. I had to do what Brian suggested by changing my camera angle upward a little.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

To quote Yogi Berra, "It's just like deja vu all over again!" When I revised my resolution to 1024 x 768 It resolved the oversharpening issue. However, I had no visible swing meter. It was then I realized I did a test of all available resolutions 6 months ago. Possibly I never got around to posting on the results, but unfortunately the game presents all sorts of wierd video artifacts and numerous other issues depending on the resolution selected. Basically with this PC and monitor the game runs properly at 1280 x 1024 and that's it. So I'll have to live with the "oversharpen" effect on certain courses.
Cheers, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing