Options>Course>Size (0 > 300MB)

Help with questions or problems.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Options>Course>Size (0 > 300MB)

Post by stillgolfing »

I am still trying to resolve a (minor) graphics problem I encounter on certain courses (overly sharp trees and bushes and plants) and was wondering what (if any) is the impact of this "Options" selection. I have tried all the course size selections, on one particular course, and it doesn't appear to have any effect that I can notice.
Thanks, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
tincup
Legend of Golf

Re: Options>Course>Size (0 > 300MB)

Post by tincup »

I'm not sure what the Course Size option does, but I am fairly sure it has nothing to do with the screen resolution.

Some of those 2000 options (panorama detail, object detail, course debris and Horizon distance) were provided to accomodate computers with far less processing power than we have today. Those options limit the amount of stuff the rendering engine has to deal with when it draws a screen.

I have never heard of anyone finding "overly sharp trees, bushes and plants" to be a problem. The sharper the better I say.

Dar
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I'm wondering...? Some of the objects from the "old" libraries don't capture a lot of detail; for example I was frustrated when building Bali Handara last year that over any distance the tropical trees and shrubs don't hold their detail, while some of the more recent libraries look almost photo realistic in their detail. Is it likely that these newer objects are the source of this "sharpness" problem? My comp is nearly 7 years old so I guess I'm fortunate (?) I don't have to deal with this "problem" (I agree with dar, on my old Dell at least, the sharper the better!)
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Ideally the objects wouldn't be as sharp in the distance as they are up close to make it look more realistic. The library creator does have the ability for you to create two different versions of your object. This is really up to the person who creates the library whether they want to do this or not though. With my libraries I always include an image 1/4 the size of the original for the alternate image.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Indy;
You and I had a similar discussion about 10 months ago when I first came to this site. I went back and reviewed the posts from then. It was Bali Shandra where I experienced the problem prominantly and It manifests itself most in the shrubs and flowers (particularly the pink and white ones). I posted pics at that time, but I suspect when others look at those pics (depending on their PC and setup) they can't see the issue. Now that I have played more courses It seems to be object library/screen resolution related. For instance Muirefield Village looks great and does not display any oversharpened artifacts. Seasons has two types of trees that show it, but they are not used much so you can hardly notice. Because Robert@ posted pictures of some holes, I thought this presented a great opportunity to match the screen shots and compare them directly, however as I gradually clipped my full screen shot and resized to match Robert@'s (10.635 X 3.802 inches @ 96 dpi is what his pic downloaded at) the artifacting disappeared from my pic and I ended up with two identical looking pics. That was when I decided to try and work with the settings within the program to see if a lower object slider setting would remove the artifacting. No luck. Nothing happens. No matter what object or panorama setting I choose and apply, the screen graphics remains the same. The only graphics slider that works as expected is shadow distance.
It's sort of fun trying to resolve this and also, I would like to be able to play Bali S without searing my eyeballs ;), so I'm sticking with it for the time being. :crazy:
May be later I will post a clip at my screen resolution for just the affected area on, say, that first hole at Seasons, to see if others can see what I am talking about.
Thanks for following up on this. Your expert input is always appreciated.
Cheers, Dave
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Here is a graphic depiction of the issue described earlier. See Attachment.

Additionally, since I was already focussing on screen resolution and it's affect on certain libraries I did a check by changing resolutions via Control Panel (as it appears nothing changed with the games graphics sliders).

NOTE: all noted resolutions are 32 bit colour.
ORIGINAL SETTING: 1280 X 1024 - some artifacting on certain courses with some libraries
1st TRIAL SETTING: 1152 X 864 - 50 % reduction in artifacting
2nd TRIAL SETTING: 1024 X 768 - no apparent artifacting

NOTE: in game the swing meter does not display at the TRIAL SETTINGS so the game was not playable
Dave
P.S. I couldn't figure out how to actually insert/display the graphic in the correct location above. Only option appeared to be: Add Attachment>Inline and no matter where I placed the cursor in the post it put it at the end of my post.
Attachments
Seasons Combo final.png
(711.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet