Using LAN to play

Help with questions or problems.
smileyknight
Range Rookie

Using LAN to play

Post by smileyknight »

Hi All,

We have been playiong this game for many years and have just found your forum!
What a great resource for a really great game!!
It's nice to see other people still appreciate this classic game.
The questions are;

1) can we use a LAN (local area network) to play without using Kali? We would just like to be able to play locally for now.

2) Is there another way to play online, one on one, without KALI?

I will look at your forum to learn more, but if anyone knows an answer/s or has the software to help, it would be much appreciated.

Nick
tincup
Legend of Golf

Re: Using LAN to play

Post by tincup »

Nick,

Unfortunately, we have not found a LAN alternative for PGA2000 to this point. To my knowledge, Kali is our only option for online play.

Kali is old and very fussy technically, but it does work for multi-player games. There is still a core group of players who battle nearly every day on Kali.

Just a note... Kali requires the SPX packet protocol which is not supported by Windows Vista or Windows 7. Micorsoft removed support for SPX starting with Vista. So, to play on Kali, you need Windows XP or lower.

Dar
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

You can play LAN games on a LAN without Kali. I set it up one time between an XP computer and a Windows 98 computer a long time ago. I don't know about Windows 7/Vista but I would guess not since it uses the same protocol Kali uses.
smileyknight
Range Rookie

Post by smileyknight »

Hi , thanks for the feedback; I will download Kali and try that.

With regards playing on a local network over LAN, I tried that but nothing happens when I click on LAN/SPX. I am running XP.

Is there anything else I need to make that work?

Thanks & Happy Christmas.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I don't remember doing anything special. This was a long time ago, around 2005 or 2006, so I don't really remember. I would say just make sure the computers can see each other on the network. Have one host the game and the others should be able to join.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Smiley, after you and your friend get Kali installed, e-mail or PM Tincup for assistance in setting up your PGA game (assuming you're not familiar with it.) It's kind of persnickity getting it going.
Btw, welcome to GSC. You've come at a good time; the last 3-4 months has had some really nice new courses released and there's a couple more in the works that should be posted in a few days.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

smileyknight wrote:Hi , thanks for the feedback; I will download Kali and try that.

With regards playing on a local network over LAN, I tried that but nothing happens when I click on LAN/SPX. I am running XP.

Is there anything else I need to make that work?

Thanks & Happy Christmas.
Smiley,
You may need to install the NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol. (yeah, its mouthful, but don't let it scare you). I think in Windows XP, the default is that this protocol is NOT installed.

To find out if you have it installed or not, follow this path:
Start> control panel> Network connections> Local Area Connections... then click on properties
Scroll down in the center box. Near the bottom, you should see the NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol item.
If not, you need to install it. Just click on the Install button and select "Protocol" then install it.

Dar
smileyknight
Range Rookie

Post by smileyknight »

Hi Tincup

Thanks for the reply, sorry for my delay ingetting back!

I have looked and I do not seem to have that protocol listed to install; I will have a read and see if I can install it.

Thanks & Happy New Year
smileyknight
Range Rookie

Post by smileyknight »

Hi

I just discovered that my PC is running Vista, so I will have to power up and install PGA on a new (old) PC to let me play online with Kali.

It took a long time to set PGA up on this PC over several years; is there a way to download the courses and libraries without downloading each course one by one?

Cheers

Nick
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

smileyknight wrote:Hi
is there a way to download the courses and libraries without downloading each course one by one?

Cheers

Nick
Nick,
Unfortunately no... Unless you can get someone to send you some CDs or DVDs with the courses and libraries.
Dar