European Links

Help with questions or problems.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Re: European Links

Post by sandwedge »

I think my problems mainly have to do with shot points - although I had not considered a missing pin. I am sometimes lined up to face another fairway, so I must move my golfer in the direction of the hole and redraw the scene. The 6th and 11th holes are the main holes I encounter this trouble - the redraw on the 11th hole being an extremely long one. I have never had the holes skipped when playing them however as mentioned above. Again, this is a great course - little on the easy side to play but a whole lot of fun to walk through. The par 3 6th is actually a very picturesque hole to play.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I am sometimes lined up to face another fairway, so I must move my golfer in the direction of the hole and redraw the scene.
Are you talking about moving your player in practice mode then hitting the spacebar and having him lined up the wrong way? Yeh, I find this happens fairly often. If you hit cntr+r then the spacebar this should rotate your player to the pin then redraw your LOS properly.

I went to EL #6 and #11 and clicked on each hole at least a dozen times. I found at least 5 or 6 different pin positions for both holes, but all of them were on the greens. #11 was a little slow in redrawing.

:shrug:
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

It could be playing from a different tee that causes the problem too. Try switching to a different tee and see if that helps.
Parrothead
Chronic Slicer

Post by Parrothead »

Thanks all. I had uninstalled the course and libraries, dl'd anew and re-installed and it kept doing the same thing. My mistake was in assuming :blush: , it would do the same from all tees, based on only playing from pro and amateur. I just switched a player to tournament tees, lo and behold, when I arrived at the sixth tee, it came up in game. :)

Cheers!
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Eureka! I will only play from the tournament tees and if I ever am lined up facing somewhere other than the tee again I will do as suggested. Thanks.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Again, having no idea what the original designers did, it's hard to tell what the problem is. I wanted to tell you though, that on Alice Boge's Garden, the tee set up is blue-black-white, and red set up as par 3s. I think most people use the black (tournament) tee pretty much as their standard setting, and of course it's the default "all players play tournament tees" setting so Greg and my idea was that the long hitters could have a real challenge, then if someone wanted to use it for a par 3 course that was also available. It's in the course notes, but since it's now 6+ years old, I'm not even sure if they're available or who reads them. (For active designers' info, I always read your course notes. Heck I even read those 10 year old CC "At the Links" and stuff.)

Anyway, maybe they did something different from the various tees? :shrug:
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Gland you figured out. I'd guess in this case rather than a pin placement it was a tee placement that got way off on the other side of the course and into an area marked out of bounds.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Judy! I always read course notes on courses I've never played or haven't played in along time. Unfortunatly I know for a FACT some people don't.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Just for conversation sake Brian, I thought of that, but since there would be a colored shotline from the tee to the first shot placement position (or on the p3 green) that would be pretty easy to see. Not so a misplaced pin. I know I sometimes in the very early stage I'll set a tee and green shape out in nowhereland and put pin(s) on it just so I can get a particular view; the designer won't let you PLACE a tee/pin except on the appropriate texture but then you have to manually delete or move it. That's why my first thought was a rogue pin. Sometimes when using 5-6 pins, I've had to reset the hole a couple of dozen times to get all of them to be selected.