Run-time error '339'... .OCX file missing

Help with questions or problems.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Run-time error '339'... .OCX file missing

Post by tincup »

After installing the game and during the first attempt to use the course manager, some people are getting the following error message:

Run-time error '339' and below this warning a message that says:
component "MSCOMCTL.OCX" or one of its dependencies not currently registered, or a file is missing or invalid

The problem
First of all, MSCOMCTL.OCX is an ActiveX control file. ActiveX is a set of windows files that control the audio and video functions of your computer. You are missing one or more of these .OCX files required uniquely by PGA2000.

Normally, the three culprits are:
MSCOMCTL.OCX
MSCOMCT2.OCX
XCDZIP35.OCX

The Solution
The first thing you need to do is find a place to download these files. Simply do a Google search with the search arguement MSCOMCTL.OCX. That will give you a number of sites where you can download that file to your desktop. Do the same thing for the XCDZIP35.OCX file.

Note: If they download as a zip file, unzip them to your desktop

Next, we need to put those two files in your Windows system32 folder.
Follow this path... click on MyComputer>C drive>Windows>System32 folder
Move those two files into the system32 folder (drag and drop).

How to fix the MSCOMCTL.OCX problem
All we need to do now is register that file with windows so Windows knows it is there.

Click on Start>Run (a Run box will pop up)
put this statement in the run box....
regsvr32 \windows\system32\MSCOMCTL.OCX
Click on OK (done)

You should get a message indicating that the file was successfully registered.

Note: The registration statement must be exactly as shown (note the space after regsvr32). I recommend you just copy the statement and paste it into the Run box.

How to fix the XCDZIP35.OCX problem
I believe this file self-registers. Nothing more need be done.

To be safe, you should probably reboot your computer at this point.

Then try the course manager. It should work now.

There could be another missing file
Some people have reported that there are three missing files. No problem. Just follow the same procedure for any other missing .OCX file(s). The only difference is that the registration statement would be changed to reflect the other file, like so....
regsvr32 \windows\system32\xxxxxxx.OCX

Dar
jusk
Range Rookie

Re: Run-time error '339'... .OCX file missing

Post by jusk »

Hi, apologies if this is stated elsewhere, but it seems logical that it should go in here.

If you are running Windows 7 64-bit and you run into the problem described above - you need to do things slightly differently:

- Download the files, as above.
- Place them in the c:\windows\SYSWOW64 folder
- Go to Start>Run, as above
- Type regsvr32 \windows\SYSWOW64\MSCOMCTL.OCX
- Click OK
- Do the same for MSCOMCT2.OCX if necessary

Course Manager should then work without a problem :)
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Jusk,

Thanks for the "Windows 7" input. It doesn't surprise me that some things are slightly different. Feel free to post any other helpful hints you find.

Dar
Guggy107
Chronic Slicer

Post by Guggy107 »

I was having the same problem, so I followed the instructions posted here for Windows 7. When I tried to register the file, I got an error saying the file was loaded but the call to DllRegister Server failed with error code 0x8002801c. This was for the file MSCOMCT2.OCX.

*Edit* Actually never mind...I figured it out. I had to run a command prompt as admin, go to the directory and register it there.
smasha
Novice

Post by smasha »

Thank You very much! :)
Diguelo
Chronic Slicer

Post by Diguelo »

And so now you are the master !! way to go Dar very impressive.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Guggy107 wrote:I was having the same problem, so I followed the instructions posted here for Windows 7. When I tried to register the file, I got an error saying the file was loaded but the call to DllRegister Server failed with error code 0x8002801c. This was for the file MSCOMCT2.OCX.

*Edit* Actually never mind...I figured it out. I had to run a command prompt as admin, go to the directory and register it there.
I have been following through on this thread info in order to get Course Manager up and running in Win 8.1. Everything went smoothly until I ran into the same error as Guggy107, but I am not yet familiar with the new "Windows" and I have no idea how to run a command prompt as admin (right clicked on the prompt but there are no options to run as admin) and also I am unclear what he meant by the statement "go to the directory and register it there.". Any Win8 experts around? Guggy are you still out there? If so, could you please clarify.
Thanks Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Good News!
Although it took me the better part of today I got Course Manager running and installed a real local course that I play a couple of times a year (Royal Ashburn), when there are deals on. It's expensive to play normally because it has been the site for Canadian Tour qualifying for many years (originally called Thunderbird). Played the first 2 holes just to make sure everything was O.K.
The biggest issue I found in trying to resolve this problem was the co-ordinating of the various related posts as they may or may not apply to Win8.1, and to resolve the various case sensitive changes that showed up in file names and directories. I now have numerous notes and changes to the recommended procedures and I will try to write them up and post them when I get a chance. On the short term I just want to download and get playing my favorite courses. :)
Cheers, Dave
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Looks like due to a problem removing McAfee from my Win 8.1 PC, I am going to have to reinstall PGA2000. Apparently all the custom course references in the COURSES folder were deleted ( that's those DPR and STA files with the hex code names), so consequently the course names don't appear in the game. The original 13 courses are OK as they have there own seperate folders which don't require DPR and STA files.
Anyhow I thought under the circumstances, I would list the differences for handling the '339' Error in Win8.1
Please note, the basic procedure as indicated originally by Dar, and subsequently adjusted by others later still gives a good overview.
The changes for Win 8.1 are:

Culprit Files:
MSCOMCTL.OCX
MSCOMCT2.OCX
Xcdzip.ocx (note case changes for this file)

The files should be placed in the:
c:\windows\sysWOW64 folder (note case changes for this location)

Note: for Win8.1 I had to register all 3 files.
To register files and run them as "admin" in Win8.1 you must use the old DOS/Windows Command Processor.
To access this window:
- on the Start Menu type cmd.exe
- when the cmd.exe icon bar appears right click on it
- from the drop down menu select "run as admin"
- when asked if you want the "Windows Command Processor" to make changes, click YES
- you should now see the Command Processor window and a "C:\Windows\system32>" command prompt
- after the command prompt, type in the correct path for the first file "regsvr32 \windows\sysWOW64\MSCOMCTL"
- press Enter to register
- you should get a window stating "File Registered OK"
- repeat this sequence to register the other files
Note: if you get a "could not register file" error you probably made a typo. Make sure you have that space after "regsvr32 "

Cheers, Dave
Diguelo
Chronic Slicer

Post by Diguelo »

Just as a for instance, you might wish to check you have the runtime libraries ro both x64 and x86 intalled on Windows 7 from 2005, 2008, 2010 and 2012.

Support for Windows 7 has gone bye bye a while back an with it the system updates that may require the use of the above. Its also a good idea to have the Visual Basic runtimes installed as well up to 2012 on windows 7, 8, 8.1 and vista (chokes slightly)

Congrats Dar I think youve become a full on tech support guy now and I ahve to say Im impressed.

Just as an afterthought really make sure the compatability mode is set for Windows 7 or XP service pack 3. Although it doesnt really matter much it does cure some wierd effects the game causes. Ive run some tests on it on a virtual drive and all seems to be working fine.

If you want I could improve on my Course Collator to install the libs and crs files in the right places if I havent already done so. Offers there if you want it.

Dig