Problems with Greenbriar

Help with questions or problems.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Problems with Greenbriar

Post by stillgolfing »

As a Newbie I've just been checking out the various PGA2000 courses. Generally in my casual playing over 10 years on several versions of Windows on several different PCs, I had never experienced any wierdness or crashes with PGA2000 (only ever played the vendor supplied courses for the Titanium Edition).
JN6, Links2003 and Tiger Woods 2007, those I could write a crash manual about. However, in trying to play Greenbriar (new course to me) today it locked up my PC about every third hole and in between the lockups I experienced some kind of fast forwarding nonsense with some shots. I would hit a shot and the screen would freeze for a second and then next, I would be standing over the ball for the next shot essentially missed the flight the landing and the toll out).
Sorry about my long winded explanation, but my questionis is this a known problem or a corrupt download, or something else (ghost in the machine) or whatever?
Thanks, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
tincup
Legend of Golf

Re: Problems with Greenbriar

Post by tincup »

stillgolfing wrote:As a Newbie I've just been checking out the various PGA2000 courses. Generally in my casual playing over 10 years on several versions of Windows on several different PCs, I had never experienced any wierdness or crashes with PGA2000 (only ever played the vendor supplied courses for the Titanium Edition).
JN6, Links2003 and Tiger Woods 2007, those I could write a crash manual about. However, in trying to play Greenbriar (new course to me) today it locked up my PC about every third hole and in between the lockups I experienced some kind of fast forwarding nonsense with some shots. I would hit a shot and the screen would freeze for a second and then next, I would be standing over the ball for the next shot essentially missed the flight the landing and the toll out).
Sorry about my long winded explanation, but my questionis is this a known problem or a corrupt download, or something else (ghost in the machine) or whatever?
Thanks, Dave
Dave,
A couple suggestions.
1. Reinstall the Augusta2001 library
2. Run PGA2000 in windows 2000 compatibility mode. Here is how you set that up:

-Right click on the PGA2000 shortcut icon or on the PGAgolf.exe icon in your Sierra bin folder (either will work)
-Left click on properties
-Left click on the compatibility tab
-Put a check in the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
-Select Windows 2000 from the pull-down list
-Put a check in "Disable visual themes"
-Left click on Apply, then OK

Let us know if either of those fix the problem

Dar
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Thanks Dar for your prompt response.
I will check out your recommended solutions tomorrow. Tonight I have to pay homage to the crucifixion and resurrection of the Easter Bunny! :bg:
Cheers, Dave
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

tincup wrote:
stillgolfing wrote:As a Newbie I've just been checking out the various PGA2000 courses. Generally in my casual playing over 10 years on several versions of Windows on several different PCs, I had never experienced any wierdness or crashes with PGA2000 (only ever played the vendor supplied courses for the Titanium Edition).
Thanks, Dave
Dave,
A couple suggestions.
1. Reinstall the Augusta2001 library
2. Run PGA2000 in windows 2000 compatibility mode. Here is how you set that up:

-Right click on the PGA2000 shortcut icon or on the PGAgolf.exe icon in your Sierra bin folder (either will work)
-Left click on properties
-Left click on the compatibility tab
-Put a check in the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
-Select Windows 2000 from the pull-down list
-Put a check in "Disable visual themes"
-Left click on Apply, then OK

Let us know if either of those fix the problem

Dar
Dar;
No luck with this so far. Now having played a few holes on several other designer courses where that library was not used I don't think it's library related. Unfortunately, playing in Win2000 compatability mode was not possible on any of the courses I tested. When I click on the swing meter for the human player to hit, the game freezes completely. There is no way to recover from this freeze as the Task Manager "end task" button is not accessible, because I do not get my mouse cursor back. Also the PC "off" button is rendered inop so the only way to shut down is to pull the plug. So for now I'm back to running in XP mode.
For the record, on the courses where I have had a freeze problem (in XP) one failure mode is consistant. Program freezes when I go to activate the swing meter for a shot with my first click, but have missed the meter slightly and hit the top border; so today, I actually completed a course, which has this problem, by being extremely carefull when positioning the cursor on the meter. Next I went back and started the course again and deliberately mispositioned my cursor for the first click, and instant freeze.
Cheers, Dave
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

I'm not a tri clicker but I'am confussed by your explanation! Your saying it freezes when you miss the meter slightly on the top border. When I tri click the meter is near the bottom border. Also you don't have to click the meter, you can position the mouse on or near the player to start your swing. The top and bottom borders should never be an issue in the swing. This is also true with Tru swing. You have to have the mouse near the player. I try to keep it somewhere between the players waist and chin before I swing.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

SteveHorn wrote:I'm not a tri clicker but I'am confussed by your explanation! Your saying it freezes when you miss the meter slightly on the top border. When I tri click the meter is near the bottom border. Also you don't have to click the meter, you can position the mouse on or near the player to start your swing. The top and bottom borders should never be an issue in the swing. This is also true with Tru swing. You have to have the mouse near the player. I try to keep it somewhere between the players waist and chin before I swing.
Sorry, bad terminology. I should have said top edge of the swing meter. I will try clicking on the player to see how that works.
Thanks, Dave
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Dar[/quote]
Dar;
No luck with this so far. Now having played a few holes on several other designer courses where that library was not used I don't think it's library related. Unfortunately, playing in Win2000 compatability mode was not possible on any of the courses I tested. When I click on the swing meter for the human player to hit, the game freezes completely. There is no way to recover from this freeze as the Task Manager "end task" button is not accessible, because I do not get my mouse cursor back. Also the PC "off" button is rendered inop so the only way to shut down is to pull the plug. So for now I'm back to running in XP mode.
For the record, on the courses where I have had a freeze problem (in XP) one failure mode is consistant. Program freezes when I go to activate the swing meter for a shot with my first click, but have missed the meter slightly and hit the top border; so today, I actually completed a course, which has this problem, by being extremely carefull when positioning the cursor on the meter. Next I went back and started the course again and deliberately mispositioned my cursor for the first click, and instant freeze.
Cheers, Dave[/quote]

Dave,
Windows 2000 compatibility is a global setting to the PGA2000 software... not specific to any given course. You set it up before even launching the PGA2000 software.

As a double check, you do have the 3.3.4.5 patch installed, right?

Scratching my head on this one. :shrug:
Dar

Dar
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

tincup wrote:Dar
Dar;
Cheers, Dave[/quote]

Dave,
Windows 2000 compatibility is a global setting to the PGA2000 software... not specific to any given course. You set it up before even launching the PGA2000 software.

As a double check, you do have the 3.3.4.5 patch installed, right?

Scratching my head on this one. :shrug:
Dar

Dar[/quote]
Dar; I am a Forum newbie and as mentioned before a 10 year "casual" player of PGA2000 (usually playing it a couple of times a year, when I want to ruin a good mood :) However I am not a computer neophyte by a long shot. You were kind enough to explained to me how to set compatability mode, but I already knew that (for instance on this PC I have to run Links2003 in Win98 mode, because it wouldn't run in XP). Hence for PGA2000 I set the mode to Win2000 (as per your earlier instructions) and then went back to testing the problem courses to see if the compatibility change resolved the issue. Unfortunately as I described above it made it way worse.
As far as the patch goes, since (as mentioned in another thread) I could not reinstall from my discs after my initial patch update problem, I downloaded the online version, which stated it was V3.3.4.5 so I assumed it came with the patch. Just for the record, in case you forgot my original Tech post was about the patch installation screwing up my originally installed Titanium Version.
Cheers, Dave
P.S - For what it's worth, while messing around with compatibility mode, when Win2000 failed I tried Win98 and when trying to open PGA2000 I got the same error message I received last week after I had previously installed the patch.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

stillgolfing wrote: As far as the patch goes, since (as mentioned in another thread) I could not reinstall from my discs after my initial patch update problem, I downloaded the online version, which stated it was V3.3.4.5 so I assumed it came with the patch. Just for the record, in case you forgot my original Tech post was about the patch installation screwing up my originally installed Titanium Version.
Cheers, Dave
I don't think any version of PGA2000 comes with the patch already installed. One way to be sure of what you have installed is to just navigate to your Sierra-Bin folder, then mouse-over the PGAGolf.exe icon. If the File Version is given as 3.3.4.5, then you have the patch installed. Otherwise, you need to install it.

Dar
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

tincup wrote:
stillgolfing wrote: As far as the patch goes, since (as mentioned in another thread) I could not reinstall from my discs after my initial patch update problem, I downloaded the online version, which stated it was V3.3.4.5 so I assumed it came with the patch. Just for the record, in case you forgot my original Tech post was about the patch installation screwing up my originally installed Titanium Version.
Cheers, Dave
I don't think any version of PGA2000 comes with the patch already installed. One way to be sure of what you have installed is to just navigate to your Sierra-Bin folder, then mouse-over the PGAGolf.exe icon. If the File Version is given as 3.3.4.5, then you have the patch installed. Otherwise, you need to install it.

Dar
Thanks for the info Dar. I'll check it out. Maybe my thinking I downloaded something called PGA2000 V3.3.4.5 was a senior moment. I'm not getting any younger, you know. :bg:
Cheers, Dave