Some Newbie Questions.

Help with questions or problems.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Some Newbie Questions.

Post by stillgolfing »

a) In the sites Courses List there are graphics included. Are these supposed to be copied and installed somewhere? I've noticed In the game some courses, when loading, don't have a graphic. Is this the reason?
b) What are Player Rosters for and where/how do they get installed? I downloaded The 2011 Tour Players folder, but I don't know what to do with it.
c)There is a wealth of info available in Utilities, unfortunately I'm finding a lot of it is not usable. The downloaded CopyriteClub links when activated show many of the graphics blank (Red X'd) consequently the related instructions are undecipherable. Is there any solution for this?
d)Similarly, there are Word Documents available but I have Open Office and (depending on the document) there are a multitude of formatting issues that in some cases make the doc unreadable and in the best case the graphics and text are clipped down the R/H side of the page making it difficult (but not impossible) to read. I think there might be a free Microsoft utility that reads .doc files, but I'm not sure, and haven't had time to check yet.
Thanks in advance, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
tincup
Legend of Golf

Re: Some Newbie Questions.

Post by tincup »

stillgolfing wrote:a) In the sites Courses List there are graphics included. Are these supposed to be copied and installed somewhere? I've noticed In the game some courses, when loading, don't have a graphic. Is this the reason?
b) What are Player Rosters for and where/how do they get installed? I downloaded The 2011 Tour Players folder, but I don't know what to do with it.
c)There is a wealth of info available in Utilities, unfortunately I'm finding a lot of it is not usable. The downloaded CopyriteClub links when activated show many of the graphics blank (Red X'd) consequently the related instructions are undecipherable. Is there any solution for this?
d)Similarly, there are Word Documents available but I have Open Office and (depending on the document) there are a multitude of formatting issues that in some cases make the doc unreadable and in the best case the graphics and text are clipped down the R/H side of the page making it difficult (but not impossible) to read. I think there might be a free Microsoft utility that reads .doc files, but I'm not sure, and haven't had time to check yet.
Thanks in advance, Dave
Dave,
a. Those graphics are just for reference so you can get a quick look at a few holes before you download. Some designers include what is called a "Splash" screen in their compressed (.XCR) file. That is the one that will show in the game when you select the course. Not all designers include a splash screen with their course.

b.I will defer to Indy's expertise in this area.

c. I must defer to one of the designers for this item. I have not used them myself (non-designer)

d. Yes, there is a free Microsoft Word viewer and Excel Viewer. You will want the 2007 version (replaced 2003). The link for the Word Viewer is:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... f827f20cac

Dar
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Thanks Dar:
Downloaded the Win Office viewer and that issue is resolved. Also (I guess )it would be nice if the designers would add splash screens, but I understand that they are providing us with fabulous courses on their own time. I've only played 5 designer courses so far, but I was really impressed. Who cares about a splash screen anyway!
Already, this newbie wishes to thanks the designers of the courses I have played, and also all those that I have yet to play. I'm hoping I can return the favour with some courses of my own someday.
Cheers, Dave
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Dave, a number of splash screens and course notes have been lost for various reasons and since those designers are long gone there's not much that can be done about that.

It is possible to make your own splash screen if you're just wanting a reference. Do a screen save, then using any paint program (even the simple MS Paint) edit the screen, add the name and designer and save it as a .bmp.
Then use stretch/skew to shrink down to the PGA window size (50%x35% IIRC) and rename it (like course.bmp to course1.bmp) save it in .bmp format.
Open the course manager, click on the course name -> Compress -> Course picture. Click on the folder icon then find your file and enter its name here. It should now show up when you open the course. (If that course is already your selected course, you'll need to randomly click on another course then come back to the desired course for the splashscreen to show up.
(If you already knew how to use Paint, etc., my apologies for sounding condescending. Whenever I try to explain how to do something I pretend that my "student" knows absolutely nothing about the topic.)

Re players and season files. Unzip the folder and drop it's contents into your PGA -> Players folder. It'll show up as "2011 Players" on your game's "Available players" section. If you want to use all the players, just move it over to the "selected list" side. If you want to play with just a few players, click on the list, then click on "edit list" below the window. Dbl-click on the players you wish to play with, which moves them into your "available list" individually. Close the player file, then dbl-click to move them into your selected list, and you're ready to go. NOTE that AI players won't appear in practice mode.

For the season, file, drop the file into the PGA -> Seasons folder. It'll show up (or should!) when you click on Seasons Play. I suggest using the edit mode before you start a season. I've set the "real" courses used this year as much as possible and then some of my own choices. These courses will show up whether you actually have them installed or not, but when you try to open a game you'll get the "Course not available" message. Also be aware with season play that once you start a round, you can't quit during the round without incurring some problems. #1, you're out of that tourney permanently. #2, and more bad, sometimes it messes up the season so that you can't finish that tourney and you can't advance to the next one. This is one of those "fatal errors" and the only solution I've found is starting over.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Thanks for the wealth of info Indy, The only thing I didn't get was the "50%X35%" IIRC reference.
I have a number of graphic programs I use regularly, but typically their resize features are designated in pixels, mm, or inches, and also usually include resolution modification in pixels, which allows the end user more control over file size.
Cheers, Dave
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Dave if you know how to shrink a pic, fine... I really don't except with the Paint program that comes with the PC.
But you answer your question re %, I do it like this:
1. Open the picture. (If you edited a screen save/course pic save it after you've cut the area you want to use.
2. Click on image -> Stretch/skew
3. On "horizontal enter 50% then 35% in the vertical box. IIRC these should be the dimensions that'll fit the PGA window when you start a game.