Re: No Sound on Computer

Post by Stan Nehilla »

I'm stumped! :shrug:
Stan
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

SteveHorn wrote:Well its happened again. My son got on the computer over the weekend and got no sound.
Steve,
I think that is the key to this problem. Your son may have inadvertently did something that deactivated or corrupted a sound driver.

You can do a quick check by doing this:
-right click on mycomputer
-left click on properties
-left click on the hardware tab
-left click on device manager
-double left click on sound, video and game controllers

If anything is not working properly, you should see red mark indicating that. Absent that, you can right click on each item to check its status. If anything is disabled, just enable it.

It is possible that you have a corrupted driver for your sound card. You might have to download and reinstall drivers for your sound card.

Another thing you can look at to see if there are any detected problems:
-click on Start-Run
-type dxdiag in the box then enter
-on the sound tab, you can run some tests to see if you can hear anything
-on the directx files tab, look to see if there are any missing .dll files
-on the more help tab, there is a troubleshooting function for sound

Let us know if you found anything

Dar
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Steve,

Just curious... did you get a resolution to your sound problem? If so, how did you resolve it? :confused:
Dar
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Still no sound. I ran into another glitch and had to start all over again with the recovery disc a few days ago. I'm just now getting the computer back to the point where I can start to see if I can fix it or not. It takes forever to reinstall everything thats needed and somethings need installed in a certain order before you can install something else. Also I'm a bit burnt out on messing with the computer so its going slower then anticapated.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

Steve, I feel your pain! A couple years ago I ran into the same problem. I tried everything I could think of to fix it. I even bought a new sound card, but it still didn't help. I concluded the problem had to be my computer speakers themselves. That was confirmed once I bought a new computer and hooked up my speakers, as I now have sound out of the left speaker only, and sometimes no sound at all! New speakers are in my future for sure.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

SteveHorn wrote:Still no sound. I ran into another glitch and had to start all over again with the recovery disc a few days ago. I'm just now getting the computer back to the point where I can start to see if I can fix it or not. It takes forever to reinstall everything thats needed and somethings need installed in a certain order before you can install something else. Also I'm a bit burnt out on messing with the computer so its going slower then anticapated.
I hear you Steve... It can be a pain in the *** to diagnose the problem. It usually turns out to be something simple, but it can be a bear to find. If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Dar
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

I HAVE SOUND AGAIN ! Even though I checked the connection at least twice before it turns out somewhere along the way someone pluged the speakers in the wrong slot :/ . I was looking for our old junky speakers several days ago to see if the speakers were the problem but couldn't find them. I thought maybe they got trashed. Then yesterday (out of the blue) my wife produces our old speakers. Turns out she put them somewhere in our bedroom. Someone at her work thought she should check to see if the speakers were still working. I thought about that a week ago DAAHHHH but oh well. When I went to hook up the old ones I saw that they were pluged into the wrong slot. ARRRGGGGGGG. How many hour have I wasted. I've already checked that connection 2 or 3 times. Did I do it or someone else AAHHHHHHH :mad: . Anyhow alls well that ends well its working again.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

:up: Good to hear that you have sound back. Pun intended.
Stan