Architect problem

Help with questions or problems.
Craigus10
Scramble Player

Architect problem

Post by Craigus10 »

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me with a problem with the architect. I have my latest course up to a stage where I have most of the holes completed, and am finishing off planting and bunkering. I have different save files of the course but am running into a problem now whenever I work on it and try to reopen. After saving and leaving the architect, I go back in and try to open the file, and it comes up saying 'cannot open file'. Is there anyway around this?

I have a file of the last work I did on it which opens, and a couple of extras, just in case something happens to it.

Any ideas are welcome, otherwise it may be heading to the scrapheap!! Something that I don't really want to do.

Thanks in advance.

Craig
Craigus10
Scramble Player

Re: Architect problem

Post by Craigus10 »

I may have found a solution, and will see how it goes. I decided to uninstall the whole game and reinstall. I also deleted all swap files that could have caused a problem.

I still can't open the other files that I had worked a little bit on, but they may be corupt. I then opened the file which does open and saved it as a new file. Then did some work on it, saved it, went out of the program and back in. The file opened and compiled ok.

Hopefully I can continue on this way and will just save each one as i go a couple of times, just in case there is a problem.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

If you go to the files that won't open right click on it and click on properties. It should say its an (architect document) under (type of file) and in the (opens with) column it must say (PGA champiuonship golf 2000 course architect.) I would check this first before proceeding with other possible solutions.
Craigus10
Scramble Player

Post by Craigus10 »

Hi Steve,

I have had a look at this and it is named an arch file and it is to open with PGA golf. Not sure what is going on.

I have managed to continue, and have fully completed the first hole, and am going to work on each hole from there, with plantings, optimizing and such. I will complete each hole, have it saved as this hole and keep doing that for each. It's weird, but it seems to be whenever I do any work on hole 13. I'll just work on the rest and get them up to where I want them and then go back to this hole. Maybe something wrong with this part of the plot???

Craig
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Craig ! If you still have a problem with #13 you may want to optimize all around that area and,or delete all 2D objects in that area. You may have an 2D object in the vicinity that is causing the problem.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Craig, I've had problems with certain locations much like you mentioned. For me it was not so much an entire hole, but one certain area, like a greensite or something with alot of elevation work. Here is what I would do: Delete with children the outermost texture of the hole or area, then hit the 'undo' button to bring it all back, then optimize each texture individually on the lowest setting.

I usually run into this problem when doing bunkers, or subtle sloping around a green. Or it could just be unlucky #13!!

Hope this helps
Doron
Craigus10
Scramble Player

Post by Craigus10 »

Thanks guys,

I will have a look at them when I get there. I have completed nine full holes and should have the final nine finished in the next few days. I am saving the file one hole at a time, so I will see how it all goes when I get to the 13th.

It could possibly be due to terrain work in the area. There has been a bit of earth moved around this hole. I may have to look at scling it back just a little to keep the arch happy.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Craig,
Did you use the CLTool to check for a sticky lib?
Sometimes when you try an object and then delete it the architect has a glitch rear it's ugly head. :idea:
Stan
Craigus10
Scramble Player

Post by Craigus10 »

Another good idea. Thanks Stan. I will try all methods mentioned and let everyone know the outcome. At least I am still able to continue with the rest of the course in the meantime and I'll come back to this hole. If needed, I could work around the hole and just plant it out or something like that if I can't resolve the problem.

Thanks for the ideas guys.
Craigus10
Scramble Player

Post by Craigus10 »

Ok, I have continued on and finished the 13th hole with no problems. I decided to see how it went without changing anything first and it has all worked out ok. I did go back to an earlier version, so I may have had a poroblem with the architect file at some stage and not known about it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I haven't really come up with an answer, but at least I can continue on. Will put it down to a problem with an arch file and just a reminder to everyone to make sure you have backup files to go back to if there are any problems :up: