I NEED help!

Help with questions or problems.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

I NEED help!

Post by Polslad »

Hi All,
I am desperate.
My PC has been 'hi-jacked' by that malicious 'Antivirus Antispyware' bug that completely takes over your system and won't let you do hardly anything.
Every 60 seconds I get pop-ups telling me my PC is infected, and I must buy their product to fix it. which is disguised to look like a microsoft product (little shiled with the microsoft colours).
I also get an autoscan starting, with a womans sexy voice telling me 'new virus found' every 10 seconds, gets quite annoying very soon, and lastly, my screen goes blank or changes into a block colour every minute or so.
I have tried 'install/uninstall, the program makes you go to their website and get a 'security key' which you enter, but it still doesn't uninstall the program.
I have run a anti-malware clean-up scan, this doesn't pick it up, and I have tried to download a anti spyware program, but this thing has hijacked my security settings and won't let me download anything, tells me I am not allowed. I have tried to change settings for trusted websites, as suggested on the Spybot site, but nothing happens I am still blocked.
It won't even let me open Modzilla Firefox to try and download from there.
I swear, I only evey get PC problems when I have a course design going, pure coincidence I know, but strange.
So, apart from giving some nerd in a repair shop a months salary, what do I do!
I am nearly crying with frustration here, and one more 'new virus found' notification of putting my big size 11 boot through the screen!
tincup
Legend of Golf

Re: I NEED help!

Post by tincup »

Pol,

This is a nasty virus and it is hard to get rid of.

All I can suggest is this:
-Bring up your computer in "Safe Mode" by holding the F8 key down for the first 10-15 seconds of the boot period.
-Use your up/down arrows to navigate to "Last known good configuration". Hit enter.

See if that restores you to a point before the bug appeared.

If that doesn't work, try getting to your system restore function via the "Safe Mode" screen. If you can utilize the system restore function from there, you might be able to restore to an earlier date... say a week or two ago. Unfortunately, the virus may have that route blocked too, but it is worth looking.

Dar
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Can't believe a simple system restore has cured it.
Thanks for the suggestion Tin.
Thought it would be a lot more difficult to shift the bugger.
I HATE that antivirus virus.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Awesome... glad to hear the restore worked for you bud. :up:
Dar
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

While it wasn't looking I also downloaded Skybot and cleared a load of stuff up that probably shouldn't have been there!
Happy days.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

David

Another additional bit of riddance of the booger ! Download malwarebytes (free version) and install...Update it to the latest definitions and run that thing too...It will get a lot
of stuff spybot will not get... I use it all the time at work....

Give that a try as well....I bet you it finds more hidden thingys....
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Good advice Terry,

I run the Norton Security Suite as my primary security package and that keeps me clean. But I also have some other tools I use periodically just to be sure something isn't slipping by the Norton safeguards (no package is perfect).

About once a week, I update and run quick-scans with these (all free packages):
-CCleaner
-Malwarebytes
-SUPERAntiSpyware

A simple google search on the above name(s) will give you the download site for each package.

Dar
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Good ones Dar use them all, another neat little tool is CLEANUP..... It will clean out all your temp files and free up a lot of space...Pretty neat little tool I use on the computers at work as well....Check that out too