Mow Lines

Help with questions or problems.
Aceless1
Range Rookie

Mow Lines

Post by Aceless1 »

The tutorial Custom Textures-A Paint Shop Pro Tutorial By David Lurty (ancient46) states, "I have a set of mow line templates that can be downloaded".
Does anybody know where these templates can be downloaded from?
Any information regarding the easiest way to create mow lines?
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Re: Mow Lines

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

If by mowlines you're referring to the drop off from one texture to another, they're relatively easy to do but require a lot of care; there're an incredible number of points in this small area.
First, SAVE your work in a new file before you even begin further work. Next lightly optimize the two textures you're going to be working with (ex, fairway and rough.) Don't smooth them, just optimize.
Next, zoom close to the boundary, then using the inner texture as a shape, expand it by 1-2 inches (the smallest size that will drop), change to an easily visible texture (like sand) then drop the shape. Now highlight those 2 shapes, then using the slope tool, set it for the depth of the cut desired (-2-3 inches, -.15 -.25 feet) then click ok. Delete the shape you used for the border, use the second texture as a shape, and give it a light smooth. Check your work for wrinkles and spikes. When satisfied, save.

Mowlines look really good, but be sure that you've completed your work inside the texture (ie, green work, bunkers, etc) before attempting these. Work from inside out. If you plan on using these for green borders then rough borders, start with the green border first, etc. SAVE with a new filename after each mowline is complete. I can't stress this enough; I've had more courses shatter while trying to do mowlines than any other course work I've attempted, but I agree that when they work they look terrific. Good luck and hope this helps.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Judy ,makes a good point there, when done they look good, however if you want to jack up the points on a course unneccesarily do them! ha....

You can get the same effect (well look) from just using a slightly dark texture to transition between your two textures...I use this method now...Still looks like a mow
line without all the headace of dropping that two texture like Indy posted above...either way is fine though all bout preference...
Using Adams Glen Haven texture set, he create a cut/mow line.... Here it is between the first cut and rough , how Im using them on my current course
Still gives that same effect/illusion of a cut like without all the points associated with it
Cut tex.jpg
(609.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Aceless1
Range Rookie

Post by Aceless1 »

Great stuff. I didn't make my post completely clear. In addition to the addressed mow lines that are explained and pictured(i.e., transitions between fairway to rough), I was also curious about cut lines within a texture. The tutorial addresses the used of PSP layering to blend layers to provide a freshly cut green that may appear like a checkerboard or have diagonal paterns. I'm also looking for more information on these "gray scale" layers that provide tees, fairways and green cut lines within the texture itself.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

I created a simple mow line pattern, just straight up and down for fairways, using Photoshop. It's fairly simple...

Create a new file, I like the size 500x500, with transparent background

Select roughly half of it using the rectangular marquee tool, it doesn't have to be perfect

Now use the paint bucket tool to fill the selection with black

Drag this file onto your texture file, making sure to resize it appropriately to fit

Change the opacity of this new layer to 1-5%, depending on the look your going for

I've never used PSP, so I'm not sure if the steps would translate well into that program. If you'd like I could make some files with different patterns and upload them to the utilities page.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Oh. Never mind. :)
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

LOL @ Indy.