Perplexed of England!

Help with questions or problems.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Perplexed of England!

Post by Polslad »

Hi All,
I have come home today and fired the old PC up, and gradually noticed that all my various log on passwords and user names have been deleted at various sites, and, when I opened up the architect, I have only stock courses and libraries.
All my downloaded courses and libraries are still in my PGA folder, how do I fix this (the PGA issue, the other stuff is taken car of).
Do I have to delete and then reinstall them all again?
Anyone had this happen to them?
By the way, apart from maybe half a dozen, I had all the none stock courses and libraries cloaked, but now they are not showing up in the cloaking window either.
Its like they have just disappeared.
I think Sierra installed gremlins in the architect program.
Just when you work starts looking interesting, it unleashes them to wreak havoc on your PC!
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Re: Perplexed of England!

Post by Polslad »

I'm thinking:
1. Create a temporary 'holding' folder.
2. Cut and paste everything from my PGA folder into the holding folder
3. Open the course manger, select 'instal', navagate to the holding folder, select everything, and hit instal.

I've done that before, pretty sure you don't have to instal them one by one.
The manager will do it for you.
Anyone know why I shouldn't do this?
Please stop me before it's too late.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

David! I've never had this happen to me or heard of it from anyone else quite like this. Sounds like whatever you have just needs reinstalled.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Polslad wrote:I'm thinking:
1. Create a temporary 'holding' folder.
2. Cut and paste everything from my PGA folder into the holding folder
3. Open the course manger, select 'instal', navagate to the holding folder, select everything, and hit instal.

I've done that before, pretty sure you don't have to instal them one by one.
The manager will do it for you.
Anyone know why I shouldn't do this?
Please stop me before it's too late.
David,
Sounds like something clobbered your registry pointers for courses and libraries.

The proceure you describe should work fine for the .clb and .crs files (yes, you can "mass install" from the holding folder). Install the libraries first (.clb files), otherwise the course install will be a nightmare of interruptions asking for libs.

You might have to move the miscellanous type files (e.g. music, splash screens, etc.) back into the Sierra folder when you are finished installing courses and libs.

Dar
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

David, do you have a registry repair utility on your computer? Fab turned me on to using one several years ago when I was having library problems and I've used mine religiously at least once a month since.

I use Registry Fix . You can get a free scan here:
http://www.registryfix.com/help/help5.html.
This scan only tells you where you have registry problems; of course you have to register to get the repair, but unlike those "you've got a virus" popups this scan (IMO) will be valid. I'm not sure what it costs now; I think it was $29 then (2005) for lifetime use. I always use it after I've been downloading and deleting files like pictures, courses, internet temp files, etc. Sometimes I have as many as 50-60 registry problems and can tell a huge difference in the performance of my PC immediately after I use it (and it doesn't require a reboot.)

There are other registry repair tools out there, but this is what Fabita recommended and I've been very satisfied with it for some 6 years now.

Btw, while doing the latest culling of courses on my harddrive this past weekend, I had several of my stock libes corrupt and ended up reinstalling all of them. It didn't wipe out anything though, I just couldn't open several courses until the problem was fixed (and they didn't show up as missing on Diguelo's Course Collator either.)
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

David,

The best free registry cleaner is this one called CCleaner:
It can be had here:
http://www.piriform.com/promo/ccleaner- ... 4Aodk0mEeA
I've been using it for 6+ yrs. I like it because it's conservative in cleaning and has caused me no Registry problems.

Another good free cleaner is Iobit's Advanced System Care - Also conservative. It can be had here:
http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html
This was recommended by my son-in-law who is my tech support. Again, I use it no problems.

CCleaner is 1MB installed and Advanced System Care is 24MB.

You have got to be careful because some registry cleaner can cause problems.
Here's some other recommendations:
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/free-so ... -cleaners/
Stan