Playing on Windows 10

Help with questions or problems.
ShelbyGT
Novice

Playing on Windows 10

Post by ShelbyGT »

I have good news for anyone who is currently or will be upgrading to windows 10. IT WORKS!! I have only installed the basic game with the basic courses, but it does work. to install the game, turn off your windows defender and your firewall(you can turn them back on after install). Set the compatibility mode to "windows `98" and run as administrator. To play on-line, you just use IPX/Lan. I can only get it to work once, so if you can't connect with your friends you have to restart the game to try again(if anyone can fix this, please post). Now all you need is people to play with. I do too. SO, leave a reply(i check here everyday) or email me. o7shelbygt_500@yahoo.com. If anyone that used to play this game back in the day and played in the tournaments, this is ShelbyGT. lets play!!
ADC
Tour Contender

Re: Playing on Windows 10

Post by ADC »

Still working? I'm downloading 10 today. I'd love to have PGA back.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
SwaggerJacker
Range Rookie

Post by SwaggerJacker »

Trying to find the game. My garage is scary. I don't think I'll find it there without physical harm. (Marko from PGA 2000)
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Post by Pyecraft »

H'mmm lost PGA entirely after falling for Microsoft incessant prompting, and finally upgrading to W10. Don't have much of a success rate, well none actually, when tinkering with my laptop set-up, but missing the old dear too much not to try. But wondering why W10 would delete any personal programs, pga included. It must still be on my pc, I'm hoping I can figure out how to find the '98 compatibility mode' and try running it without doing the firewall thingy, which sounds way too riskily fatal for my diminishing skillset.
If that fails, now without access to my original discs, I'd also need to d/load install from here.

The stresses we endure in the name of progress, what was ever wrong with '98 anyway? I spend hours a week now deleting a hundred unrequested 'apps' & add-ons which I'll never ever use. There must be a way to revert back to windows7, anyone know how? I've a feeling that'll be the way I go when I find some answers.
May the only balls you slice be your own
NoLimit
Novice

Post by NoLimit »

Not working for me in win 10. Maybe disc is corrupt? I copied the disc to local HD and tried as well. Defender is off, firewall is off. I run no other antivirus. Set compatibility mode to win 98 and run as admin. click on setup, get the blue spinning circle for a few seconds and goes away. Nothing.

Any help? Would love to play again.

PinHigh
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

NoLimit! First I would make sure nothing got installed. Second if there is a sierra file uninstall everything. Third if disc is bad try install from this web site. I'm using compatibility mode XP service pack 3. Also once you do get it installed right click on the course manager and then click troubleshoot compatibility. Even though you are set as admin. it may still not work unless you troubleshoot. Hope this helps
NoLimit
Novice

Post by NoLimit »

thank you. I got it working. So excited as I have several cd's of courses.
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Post by Pyecraft »

Have to say that efforts to try keep pga running in w10 has been a complete failure, first time in almost 20 years without access to my Snowdonia shovels. Think the only solution left is to pick up a used laptop running an older os, and maybe strip it right down to become a dedicated design machine. May a plague visit your family Microsoft, I shall forever rue the wonderfully peaty, single malt I was enjoying at the time I weakened and fell for your constant upgrade pestering.
May the only balls you slice be your own
masospaghetti
Weekend Duffer

Post by masospaghetti »

NoLimit wrote: April 8th, 2016, 12:54 pm Not working for me in win 10. Maybe disc is corrupt? I copied the disc to local HD and tried as well. Defender is off, firewall is off. I run no other antivirus. Set compatibility mode to win 98 and run as admin. click on setup, get the blue spinning circle for a few seconds and goes away. Nothing.

Any help? Would love to play again.

PinHigh
I know this is an old thread but I am having the same issue. How did you fix it? Tried compatibility mode, administrator, uninstalled PGA 99. Windows 10 here. Thanks!

Edit: interestingly, I was able to install it no problem on a different machine also on Windows 10. Both are AMD Ryzen-based, not sure why they would be different.
masospaghetti
Weekend Duffer

Post by masospaghetti »

In case someone else has this issue, found the solution here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... t-working/

Answer is: Go to task manager, Details tab, setup.exe should be there. Hit analyse wait chain, i had nvidia blocking it for some reason so i simply ended the task and it worked.