Mamacs Retreat Golf Club by Duncan McMonagle[Contest Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Re: Mamacs Retreat Golf Club by Duncan McMonagle[Contest Cou

Post by Terry Grayson »

Well cool I just read the text file for the first time AFTER my review.... I recognized instantly the MacDonald and Mackenzie styles but I missed totally the Merion 16th...Daggum it...thought i had some of this pegged...lol...Great work again..

Prayers are with you on the loss of your father Duncan
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Terry many thanks for taking the time to review my course and thanks for the kind words. You've definitely got a good eye and even though the holes you mentioned weren't necessarily the inspiration behind the hole design, they certainly share a lot of features of the ones you mention. Never thought about 13th at Augusta and number 2 for instance, but now you mention it they do play quite similar - although 13th at Augusta doesn't really have any bail out short left beyond the hazard. Maybe I had that in my mind at the time without realising it!

And thanks for your prayers Terry, it's been a tough few weeks/months.

Cheers,
Duncan
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

I was reminded recently that I had reviewed 4 of the contest courses but failed to review this one. Sorry Duncan, it was not intentional..

From strictly a designers view point and my personal view point I did not like the endless supply of bunkers. I think one of them on the second fairway measured nearly 300 yards long. That to me, destroys the realism in the design. There was little variety in the plantings used under the trees. Too much of the same types of plantings creates a sameness feel to the entire course. They also appeard to be pretty much the same height as did the trees. I much preferred the design of the back nine over the front nine. I very much liked the view of the second shot on # 9. I think some extra smoothing was in order around some of the fairways as the edges appeared to be a bit jagged , not smooth and round in their appearance. There was a strange looking building on # 6 . I think better choices are available. I noticed that instead of a fringe texture on the fairways you used another fairway texture of a slightly different color instead, not sure why. I was not sure if the water feature you used was suppose to be lake water or the ocean. Overall it is a good effort but from what I have seen so far you are capable of far better. I would like to see you pay closer attention to detail in your next design. Respectfully, Spencer.