Point Reyes National by Steve Horn [Contest Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Re: Point Reyes National by Steve Horn [Contest Course]

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

So were we Steve.
I consider putting to be probably the strongest part of my game. Jack is also a good putter. We realized pretty quickly that the texture was "fast normal" (I'm using a similar texture, Ocean Side, on a course design now.) I use a technique for clickers that I learned from Terry Greyson (set your line, add 3 clicks right, miss left on the 3rd click.) Jack is a tru-swinger. We were both missing 3 and 4 click (ie 6-8 breaklines) to the right putts regularly. Jack made several 3-putts on what should have for him birdies. I did pretty well on the front nine, but on the back nine I pretty much gave up on getting birdies and just tried to get close for a par putt.

Poor Poppy almost always struggles with putting and had a horrible time. Jack was over par the whole round, and that just doesn't happen with him; I don't think he had a single birdie on the b9. I'm not putting all that on the greens! But there was a couple of time that on a 2-3 click right to left breaker (especially) the ball would either go perfectly straight or might even move to the right. That's why I added in my review that I didn't blame the designer; sometimes these greens seem to have a mind of their own. Had it been just me or just Jack, I would have dismissed the problem but with both of us having the exact same problem, we had to draw the conclusion that it wasn't just us.

I don't know what to tell you Steve. Other than the greens we all loved everything about your course (I honestly wasn't thrilled with the pano at first, but other than over the ocean I came to like it and in some places it was pretty stunning.) I especially liked your elevation work on those two holes where one runs above the other (13 and 15?) and the holes running along the seawall. Very unique and well done. I also really like that several of your greens were tucked in behind trees or other obstacles. I'm not sure what the building object was behind #6(?) but it was pretty cool and the parking lot was a great job. Some of your other little garden plantings were really pretty and added to the "real" value of the course also.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

I'm amazed how different all of the contest courses have turned out, but this is another really great course by Steve - I thoroughly enjoy my rounds here.

I'd like to mention about the layout first because I think its one of the strongest parts of the course. You can see that Steve has applied a really strong grasp of what makes good golf holes and applied it to Brian's plot, as there are a large number of totally unique, and highly interesting strategic golf holes.

I've got to admit, I wasn't hugely mad about the pano and some of the textures clashed a little bit to my eye, but this did not detract from playing enjoyment in any way and I love the overall stormy 'look' that Steve has aimed for.

The planting and detail work was top quality, and although some of the objects stood out a bit as they were captured on a sunny day rather than an overcast one (at least I could find the neon public toilet ;) ) their consideration and positioning really added to the overall feel and realism of the experience.

Favourite holes included the drivable 3rd (what a view!) and the brutal 6th - there is a great layup option here for a poor drive and this would also have made a great short par 5 with a few extra yards added to it. Thankfully the cart girl awaits at the back of the green to give you some relief - nice touch. The 8th is a simply stunning par 3 playing in to the dunes, followed by the penal 9th right by the water - lovely. The two best holes on the B9 for me were the 13th - a lovely natural hole that reminds me of the 11th at Ballybunion, and the 16th which is easily the best hole on the course. It is a great risk reward hole offering lots of options depending on how well you hit your drive and how aggressive you want to be. I could genuinely play that one all day.

Overall this is hugely enjoyable place to play and I'm looking forward to getting back out there again. Great work Steve!
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

In my opinion, Point Reyes is the toughest of the contest courses. This is a course you need to play a few times to know how to play it. It can eat you alive.

From the first tee, you know you have a dog fight on your hands. With the green tucked in behind the trees, you are tempted to go for it in two. Some have made it (don’t know how), but I ended up in tree-jail with little chance of getting out with less than 4-5 whacks… lol. Awesome hole.

The course has a little bit of everything… Big rises/drops, dog legs, split fairways, blind shots, forced layups, snaky fairways, bunkers galore, rock walls, dunes and some hair raising approach shots.

My favorite holes are the ones along the coast… number 3, 9, 13, 16 and 18. If I had to pick a signature hole for this course, it would have to be #16… postcard beautiful. Not to say there weren’t other very interesting holes.

From a player’s perspective, this is a great little course. Bring your “A” game or an extra dozen balls. Check your ego at the door. It’s tough, but fun to play.

Dar
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Dar ! Thanks for the review. I wanted to make it tough but fair.Its only slightly tougher then The Platinum Course at Stoney Hills C.C. mainly due to more risk reward shots that can really burn you. Par is a very good score on alot of holes and it does take several rounds to really learn the course. If you found it difficult thats somewhat shocking considering how low you guys go on a regular basis.I hope you recieved my votes.