Dogwood Trail by Doron Cook (Bryce) [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Dogwood Trail by Doron Cook (Bryce) [New Course]

Post by SteveHorn »

Just completed a quick practice round and I would say this is a solid (A) list course. I played on L-D-C and shot (-4). I was cruising along with all pars until I chipped in on #9. Then I strung together some birdies in the middle of the back 9 before getting my only bogey on #18. If I'd played on breezy or gusty I don't know if I would be able to break par.
The course has some of the sweetest looking bunkers of any course I've played. The greens have just enough break to make you work for your birdies (besides the lengh). GIR is the bigest problem for a shorter hitter like me but I did pretty well in that department on this round.
I loved #7 and all its fencing (I know that took some time). I also liked the only short par 4 #16. The tee shot on twelve gives an optical elusion of the sky blending into the ground almost like a fog. But its only a reflection off the water as it turns out. There's really nothing negative I have to say about this course. I'm sure I could knit pick and find something wrong but I didn't. I believe this is Doron's finest work to date. EXCELLENT JOB DORON. Hope you have another course in the works soon.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Thanks Steve! I am not a big hitter either, so I know what you mean about the GIRs. I just finished my first round under par at Dogwood Trail!
finally.jpg
(212.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I'm still using your advice to find my mistakes in the registry for my other version of this course, until then, not starting another. I have 2 real courses that I play in real life that I have started, but with all of the flooding here in the summer this year, I am going to hold off until I see how many changes are made. One is Rock Barn Golf and Spa, where the Senior Tour plays in October every year. I hope the course recovers before they play. It was under 7 feet of water in some places, and they lost 2 greens, 3 bridges and 22 sand traps.

This used to be where the 14th green was:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwnZkFrHVJA

This was he 3rd green, with a pic of mine below (videos are not mine)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlHeYc9wHP4
120217_0001.jpg
(158.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron! Thats a shame about all that flooding. I had'nt heard much in the news lately about it so I thought it was pretty much over with. Its been a GREAT summer hear in central OH. this year. Cooler, less rain and less humid then usual mostly since mid July.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Steve, where I live (Hickory NC) received 7 inches of rain in 90 minutes on the Saturday that Rock Barn was flooded. That was 3 weeks ago, and since we have had 2 more good rains that added to the already record totals. I have live within 30 miles of Hickory my whole life, and have never even seen close to this much rain. The road next to my condo was closed because of a small ditch at the bottom of a hill had overflown covering the road with about 2 feet of water. My little Sentra SE-R spec V would have been destroyed!

Doron
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Isn't it funny how things that seem so hard are so easily fixed. I am uploading the Standard version of this course as I type. There will be noticeable differences on the tee shots, especially from the back tees. I believe I added 13 new tee boxes for different tee markers. Some holes will not be much different, such as the first 3 par 3's. They are simply a little shorter. The par 4 4th hole in the Championship Edition, is exactly the same, including tee locations. Only now, it is the par 5 4th hole. Several holes had no way to run the ball up to the green. Every hole now has some fairway in front of it. I hope you find this version to be just as entertaining as the Championship version, as well as a whole lot easier!

Sorry for the delay from my stupidity :/

Doron
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron! Great to see it fixed. What was the problem that got fixed?
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Well Steve, I am an idiot! I sent my arch files to Brian, and he had trouble loading them with some sticky and cloaked libraries. After he fixed those, he simply 'saved as' a new file, which I had thought I had done from the start of the Standard Edition. After he informed me of the libraries, I opened the arch file from my flash drive, and then it hit me! I remember finishing the Championship Edition and choosing the easy route by copying (dragging) the arch file from my desktop to my flash drive, instead of using 'save as' like I assumed I did. Basically, I was using the same original file and it automatically was going to replace one with the other.

Thanks to Brian for pointing out the obvious to me. I hate that he had to waste his time to find something so obvious. :/

Doron
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Don't worry about it, I'm just glad you were able to figure it out.

The standard version is now up on the site and available for download.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

BrianZ111 wrote:The standard version is now up on the site and available for download.
I just want to add, that this version requires the same libraries, except you do not need Turnberry. According to my course stats, the Championship version is 8,145 yards and the Standard version is almost a full 1,000 shorter at 7,194. I think you guys will shoot the lights out now!

Doron
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

What a magnificent beast!
Extremely long, narrow and difficult, but what a feast for the eyes.
Beautiful work.
Got to go play the shorter version now, best of 78 around the big one.