Cougill's Keep GC by Indy Anna Jones [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Cougill's Keep GC by Indy Anna Jones [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Cougill's Keep GC (16.9 MB)
Type: Fictional, Parkland
Designer: Indy Anna Jones
Date: 11/12/2011
Libraries Used: augusta2001, beaverhead, bf, blackwolf, dem, mayfield, northamerican, pebblebeach, pinery, spyglass, thecountryclub2, whisperwind, wild1
tincup
Legend of Golf

Re: Cougill's Keep GC by Indy Anna Jones [New Course]

Post by tincup »

Let me be the first to congratulate you Indy. This may well be your best course yet. I say "yet" because I hope there are more in the future :bg:

Not only is this course stunningly beautiful, but it is a lot of fun to play. The big elevation drops/rises and the water hazards keep you honest and make you really think about your shots. The tee-fairway-green textures and the plantings all work together beautifully.

This is definitely a top-tier A-List course. Download it... you won't be disappointed.

Great job Indy :up:
Dar
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

This course is spectacular. The waterfall looks very realistic and is placed wonderfully. The course makes me so tired just looking at all the hills I need to climb :laugh: - a lot of elevation and uneven rolling fairways on the layout. Just two minor things - there were IMHO too many blind and semiblind shots and although I liked the creativity of the bunkering on the 14th hole, I did not think it came off very well in appearance. But this course will never leave my hard drive as long as I play this game - it is that good! My girls and I got into a long discussion after playing a round here - they think Carolindi Forest is still Indy's best work, but personally I say it is this course hands down! Indy, thank you so much for this course, I love it!
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I really love Carolindi, and I really wouldn't want to be the person to decide which is better; lol... I love "all my children" for various reasons.

Sand, I can see what you're saying about that trap surrounding the 14th green. I think maybe that if I'd elevated the green complex it would have come off better; it does just kind of lay there, doesn't it.

As far as the blind shots, I did end up with a few more than I had planned; #6 is pretty drastic and is one of those things that slipped into the "fantasy" realm, but I was trying to work with the plot I built as much as possible... ie, this is piece of ground I was given to work with, now what can I do with it? IMO, since we have the aiming stake and the various camera views, IMO there's really no such thing as a blind shot in this game... but those panoramic views are much more interesting, I admit.

But my main goal (besides honoring my dad) was to do something different from my previous courses that was both fun to play and nice to look at (I ran out of flower $$ on Bali Shandra!! :bg: ) and I hope I succeeded in that. I'm glad you and your girls enjoyed it.

Btw, here is the course routing if anyone is interested.
Cougill's Keep GC course routing.JPG
(138.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Just wanted to say a few words. A GREATcourse Judy. I agree with Sandwedge. I don't mind a few blind shot , but a few more than I like, personal preference. Waterfalls are difficult to get to look good and I thought yours turned out well. Enjoyed the elevation changes. I thought you did a very nice job on your greensites. Textures fit and everything was technically well done as I would expect from a seasoned designer. Thanks for your time and effort in making this course. DC#1
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Played my 1st round of golf in about 2 weeks last night on this new release. Forgot to check the settings before I started. I believe they were ( A-W-S). Even thuogh the greens were wet I had no troubles getting any of my putts to the hole, unlike several other courses I've played this year. Even an uphill by 11" 40 footer I ran by the hole aways which means on dry they must be pretty fast. Shot a 70 on this par 72 and was playing very fast so scoring was good.
Judy! I don't know if this is your best but it certanly is a sweet design ranking right up there with some of your other A listers I've played this year. Hopefully I can find a spot on the World Tour next season to give it a thorough play on varied conditions. Seems like an A lister to me and one I recommend. GREAT JOB.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Thanks again, guys. I take note of your comments about too many blind shots; I've never been too bothered by blind fairway shots, but I agree about approaches to the green. 5 and 6 were pretty tough to build and they are pretty... drastic?

Steve, I used blackwolf as the primary texture, with NAW for the roughs and blackwolf again for the rough borders. IMO it was just too bright for use as primary rough textures, but otherwise it's a pretty sweet texture. Various b'wolf textures were also used in the "off-course" planting, and boy that 5" weedrough is some pretty horrendous stuff especially with deep rough. My philosophy goes along Jack Nicklaus' design theory: Don't punish good shots but if they get into the traps or rough... :mad: I played every pin position vd -> wet and didnt find any I thought really unfair although I did a lot of finishing work on #13 and #18 and in the process may have made them too easy. Greens have always been the hardest fixture for me in designing a good course.
Parrothead
Chronic Slicer

Post by Parrothead »

Wow! Enjoyed it, textures are blended nicely. The blind shots aren't that much of an issue for me. I'm still working on my shot accuracy, so I end up with quite a few blind shots. ;) My accuracy (or lack thereof) did put me in the weeds on the 8th hole, far left in the weeds/rough between the fairway and green. Much like my going wide on the 4th at Cliffs at Stone Forest, no matter what club I chose, I ended up not being able to get out and abandoned a round. I'll be more careful/mindful of my shot and club selection. :)

I have downloaded Carolindi and will give that course a go, too. Have played Ullna a number of times. Thanks!
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Parrot are you talking about the weed rough near the second fairway segment and green or the first fairway segment? I admit this is a tough hole with the falloffs left, right and beyond that first segment so I had to make anything beyond the deep rough OOB. With any wind it is very demanding of accuracy.

Thanks for your review, and I think that overall you'll find the b9 more open and easier to play.
Parrothead
Chronic Slicer

Post by Parrothead »

I'll say with some certainty, it was around the end of the first segment, in the deep rough left. I just played another round, I ended up just off the fairway, I got a fair bit of carry with a 24 mph tailwind. This time I was on the green in two.

It was late last night when my problem occurred, so memory is a bit fuzzy. Not sure if it was too much club, off the tee, in a strong gust or a heeled second shot. I'll assume bad luck situated me just shy of OOB and got caught up in some gnarly stuff. I now know it's there and will remember to take time and assess the conditions, before hitting. At times, I don't pay attention and just let one go off the tee, then look at the wind direction.