Cougill's Keep GC by Indy Anna Jones [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Re: Cougill's Keep GC by Indy Anna Jones [New Course]

Post by Polslad »

Just come from 2 straight rounds here, loved the course.
I echo everything that's already been said.
Excellent textures, blends, objects, elevation changes and variety of holes, with a water featute thrown in to boot as well.
A fine course Indy, be proud.
Kinda gave me a little payback for the bunkers at Lytham, I was stood on the 17th tee a -4, and walked of the 18th at +3, greenside bunker at 17 ate me up, don't be short left!
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

Just finished my second round and enjoyed the course very much. Liked the waterfall,and what appears to be a wood fence running along side the fairways on several holes . Maybe a few too many blind shots and the train sounds were nice but some how dose'nt fit the course that much. Good plantings, good bunker work, nice greens , good plot, nice pano. I liked the castle. I thought some of the tee elevations were a bit extreme but interesting. Overall a very nice course and a lot of hard work and careful thought went into this design. An "A " lister to be sure. Top Shelf , Judy. Spencer.

PS: Judy, which of the libraries has the 3.25 inch rough ?
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Thank you Spense and Polslad. The Xanw pano had a really neat RR trestle bridge running over a river; that's when I put the train sound in. In all of my/our courses we never used mechanical sounds (ie mower, plane, etc.) and I kind of liked it so I left it in. IIRC the sound circle only affects tees 1-10 and greens 9-18 (ie, near the clubhouse. The wall is supposed to be stone; I tried to give it a crumbled look in some places but it didn't work out. Some textures just don't hold their looks very well over a distance. I did make mention that I ventured more into the fantasy realm with a few of these holes than I have in the past; #5 and 6 approach, #1 and 12 tee... I don't think you're likely to find these in many real courses.

The 3.25" rough is either blackwolf scruff or blackwolf dirt; I'm pretty sure it's blackwolf dirt. (Yes, bwolf dirt; I was surprised to find it grass when I used it the first time.)
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

I finally had a little free time today to download this course... Havent had much of that in a few months...

Opened the course, and Immediately I knew, I was going to like this course... Lovely match between plantings and pano in my eyes

When I got to hole 7 and 8 I thought "Is this a Wagers course" reminded me so much of his style... Absolutely OUTSTANDING golf course in my eyes...

Between this one and The Brandt contest course, my top two courses of this entire year that I have played.....

Judy you have really built a magnificent course... absolutely loved the plantings, and just the overall look was amazing to me....

I didnt mind the blind shots at all, makes it interesting...

WOW is about all I can say.... Your absolute best and one of the best of the year to me.....
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Thanks Terry; any time I'm mentioned in the same breath with The Master it tickles me from head to toe. One thing I'll say about the opening hole: As I switched the pano from Xanw to BF long after I started, I was really fortunate to get the "old city" and the "keep" showing up from the first tee. That definitely (IMO) added something to the look of the course from the very start.

I also have to add that a lot of this course design was inspired by your and Robert W.'s latest effort. I wish I was better at building the cliffs like you two and some of my fellow designers; I think #8 would have really looked good that way, but I can't seem to get the 3-d-ish look to them, so...
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Played it several times yesterday and Ill just say it again! Outstanding design....Love everything about it...

Front 9 I was -9 with two pars btw! lol.... Eagled that short par 4 and a par 5 (i think it was)

Indy the cliff stuff is not that hard...Maybe Ill make a little tutorial here soon and post how I do it... If that would help any?
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

Terry, I hope you will post the tutorial . They have always been benificial to me and I am sure it will be to Indy and others, me included. Spencer.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Thanks Terry, that would be helpful. I wanted to use more cliffs on Leverette Mtn. The only one I ended up with is to the left side of the drive on #4 IIRC (the S-shaped par 5) and you can see it didn't turn out very well.

I do have another course in mind; I'm searching the web for inspiration and the libes for the proper pano. Lol, is that mysterious enough? I have an idea how cliffs might come in useful.

And again, thanks for your comments.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Good deal, Ill create a small tutorial...

One thing to remember, and I learned the hard way on Stone Forest.... In the game, its like the sun is always coming from the north.... So if I am building a hole east to west or west to east.... I SHOULD HAVE
tried to build the rock faces with the "sun" in mind..... If I place them where the sun is behind them, then you get wonderful shadows and 3d looks ,pretty much no matter how much terrain you build into them..

If you put them where the sun hits them head on say on the south side of an east to west hole, then it just looks barren and flat, no matter how much terrain work you put in there (A good example of this is hole 18 from the tee on stone forest)
It didnt hit me until I almost completed the hole just how the sun was hitting them directly and causing those great shadow looks to NOT appear.....It just looks flat, and the 3d look does not show good

Keep in mind the entire cliff building process where the sun light is coming from, it can make or break a "look" of 3d effect if you place them in the wrong spot....

I probably shouldnt have used your review space to explain that,....Sorry for that... Ill post something on the way I do it soon....
gova
Chronic Slicer

Post by gova »

Thanks Indy for a very challenging course and the course looked great.

Cheers
Brian