Catalina by Spencer Turner [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Re: Catalina by Spencer Turner [New Course]

Post by spencerturner »

DC, you also comment that "your opinion is worth nothing" . Your opinion is just as important as anyone else"s opinion . I certainly put a value on it or I would"nt have replyed.
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

Sandwedge, thank you for your review. I actually did place some wave sounds from the Pebble Beach Library and some thunder sounds from Canaveral. For some reason neither seemed to work. Probably something I did wrong. Spencer.
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

Sandwedge, almost forgot. I did not use bird sounds , such as seagulls because quite frankly I find them really annoying. Spencer.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Poppy, Jack and I (Ogilvey on the f9) had a chance to play Catalina today and we liked it a lot. A nice blend of textures, planting, and the Pebble Beach pano worked real well. I think I understand what is meant by "less is more" and that some may or may not like this; I'll admit that I don't like those big flat unplanted areas surrounding some courses, but in this case since there's not a lot of elevation, the planting is quite adequate to give one the impression of a fuller planting in the "plot area."

A nice variation of doglegs, long and short p4s and reachable (but barely for a clicker) p5s if the wind is blowing from behind. Good movement and slope on the greens, but... and a big but... it's Bay Hill texture (right?) and that means SLOOOOOW. It took me 3 holes (and 2 bogies) to finally get it figured out. Another thing interesting (and this isn't a gripe, just a question) what is the light rough texture that allows the ball to roll so freely? I swear on most courses the ball is going to hang up, but here once it starts down the slope, it's going to continue until it's in the deep stuff or in a trap.

All in all, a very nice and enjoyable course from Spenser. :up:
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

Thank you Indy so very much for your review. So glad you enjoyed your playing time. On the textures question. Indy, the light rough surrounding the greens and the bunkers is a light rough from the Pebble Beach Library. I used it years ago on a course I called North Island which you also commented at the time about how eaisly the ball rolled into the traps if you get anywhere near them. I love the effect. You also commented at the time how much you liked the movement on the greens and ever since that time I have tried to as much as is reasonable/ practical ,to create movements in my greens.

The greens are also Pebble Beach. The Fairways and the Tees are from Inland Heath. Most of the trees and underbrush are from Coosbay and Monterey. The ball washers are from Bay Hill, the yardage markers on the tees are from Cape D and if you will notice the yardage on the markers match the actual yardage on each hole. Thanks again for your review and comments. Spencer.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Hmm... definitely don't take this the wrong way, but I find it hard to believe the greens aren't Bay Hill, they are so slow. I guess I never noticed this at Pebble. I usually do a numerical rating of green speed, with normal=10. We played Ullna on normal last Friday, and I'd call them about 13. With moist being about 7 and wet 4 (fast, VD being 13, 16) I'd rate your greens as about 7-7.5. I'm not beeching, lol... it's just one more feature that makes this game always interesting. It just took a few holes to figure it out, and about 17 to learn how to putt the breaks!!

Btw, I did hear the ocean, IIRC on the 9th or 10th tee. I never did hear the thunder though. I'd kind of with sandwedge on sounds, except for the really annoying one I like the bird sounds; I like everything that allows me to get my head into being actually on a real course and playing, which is why I don't care much for the large unplanted areas. Your course did an excellent job of "filling in the spaces."
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

Indy I would have no reason to misslead you. Use your course architect , go to the Pebble Beach Library. There you will find two green txtures. One is simply listed as "Green", the other is listed as" PBGreen 13th. " I used PBGreen 13th thruout the course. If you still are in doubt , use the CA to create a single hole and use the PBGreen 13th texture on you green and then play it . I dont know what else to say . Spencer.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Spence, I'm sorry... I never doubted your word. I guess that's just a Midwestern way of saying I was wrong about something when I thought for sure I was right. My apologies for making you think otherwise. :(
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

No apology needed Judy. Spencer.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yeah there are two green textures in the Pebble library. The one for the 13th green was made slower because the slope was too steep on that green for the regular speed greens to be playable.