Green sky wrinkled paper

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Green sky wrinkled paper

Post by DC#1 »

I'm working on a course and at certain spots on the course you get the"wrinkled paper" look on the top half of the screen. It is a desert course and mine is brown instead of green. I know it does'nt happen on all courses so is it a bug in the pano or in the main texture. Thought I could change either one if someone knew which one is "corrupt."
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Green sky wrinkled paper

Post by SteveHorn »

DC#1! I wish I knew, if I can isolate it I will let the community know. Can't say that I recall seeing it on a brownish desert course before so that has me even more puzzled. List the libraries you've used and I'll note it and try and compare it to other course's with the same problem. No promise's that I'll figure it out or how long it may take. I have noticed that in the game options the horizon distance setting can make a difference at times. I try to keep mine set at the max of 750 yards but my settings seem to get messed up if I run a virus scan or any security scan and I forget to reset them.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Why mine is brown is because my main texture is desert from a library that Terry Grayson made. That's why I thought maybe the texture or the library itself is corrupt. On parkland courses you get the green wrinkled sky because the main texture is something green.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I always thought that had to do with a corruption in the terrain mesh in the direction you were looking. I would try optimizing and repairing the course and see if that helps. I have no evidence to back that up though. I guess it was always only a very random occurrence for me, never a big enough problem to investigate further. Do you know what you were doing when it started to become a problem?
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Don't remember Brian. So should I pick-up all textures in that area down to main texture and then optimize "entire main texture" or should I drop large circle around that entire area and then optimize that "dropped large circle."
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Re: Grassy sky appears

Postby Diguelo » November 22nd, 2013, 6:28 pm
The grass sky is a bug that originally developed back in the days when patch 3.3.4.5 was released. The game revolves round old sorry ancient video drivers and Visual C++ libraries. One way of clearing the error up is to do a reinstall OVER the installation you already have, this rewrites the files causing the issue and should clear it up.

Checks you should all make are that your Video and Audio drivers for your computers are all up to date.

Those of you that dont know how to check, follow these instructions.

Find the icon that says "My Computer" OS is irrelevant and right click on it then select properties.
A window will appear, in the index in it, find the DISPLAY ADAPTER setting and click the little plus sign next to it.
A name will appear for your graphics card and its model number. For instance it may say NVIDIA 4500 GT, in which case you go to the site for that card and download the latest driver set for it. Write the name on a piece of paper it is easy to forget and microsoft in their infinate wisdom failed to put a taskbar icon for switching between them.
ATI Graphics cards are now no longer run by ATI but are a conglomerate of AMD so go to http://www.amd.com/ to find the drivers.
Nvidia cards got to the Nvidia.com site.
If you do not have a graphic card and are playing on a laptop then go to the relevant laptop site and search for the computers model number. It is on a silver label on the underside of your computer, then search for the video drivers on there. The majority are INTEL driven and the install process will require the least amount of programs running prior to installation.

ANTI VIRUS should be left ON
FIREWALLS should be left on
SPYBOT in any form or variety should be uninstalled as they have now moved from freeware to robyoustupidware and it doesnt work on the freeversion apart from to screw your machine up. (That in itself brasses me off for the amount time Ive spend sending them fixes for malware and stuff and now they are making money of programs people slaved over for free)
AVG may need to be temporarily disabled.
BULLGUARD may need to temporarily disabled
COMODO INTERNET SECURITY leave it running and follow on screen prompts, If a popup shows asking for the program to be isoplated, click the Never isolate this program again in blue print.

Anyone having installation issues or other issues is more than welcome to contact me directly via my business email admin@pcdatalincs.co.uk or my personal box diguelo@aol.com

Im still around guys.
DC#1 wrote:Don't remember Brian. So should I pick-up all textures in that area down to main texture and then optimize "entire main texture" or should I drop large circle around that entire area and then optimize that "dropped large circle."
Found this on forum. Does anyone know if this really corrects the problem?
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

DC#1! I'm sure I read that fix before but I never took the time to do it. It's been a very rare occurence that I run into the wrinkle effect. I forgot all about that potental fix.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I could be wrong but I don't think it is an issue you can fix outside the architect unless you are seeing it on other courses too that you didn't before. You could verify that it is just the course by sending it to someone else who doesn't normally have problems and seeing if they see it too. Otherwise I guess my first course of action for troubleshooting would be to pick all the shapes up, optimize and repair. Before you drop them again check on it to see if it has gone away. It could be a rouge shape having a negative effect on the mesh when it is dropped. If that doesn't work then I'm probably wrong about that theory.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Not sure but I have a few thoughts:

1. The jagged green in the sky often comes when the elevation is off on the plot - in other words when the distance from the edge of the course to the hole is less than 350 yards and the elevation drop or increase in between is extreme. Indy posted on this some time ago - Indy are you out there to help clarify? - she is the experienced architect and one who has run into the issue before.

2. Sometimes the course will look good on a desktop but be off in a laptop or wide screen model - not sure why that is - might have to do with the screen fitting stuff. Anyways if the designer made it on a desktop screen and it is now being played in different dimensions, that might have something to do with the green jagged look going unnoticed?

I think the problem that is being described has to do with number one but I gave both just in case. Not an architect but I am sure Spencer or Terry or Indy would have the answer as I remember them all discussing this issue at some point - maybe on the other website prior to this one or maybe at the Copyright Club but somewhere - search the forum? Just trying to help!
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

This is the "desert course" I got from Terry. It has 2 new libraries. If your out there Terry would like to know if you ever experienced the "desert sky" in this case, when you worked on this course? Thanks for all the help.