Next Project ...... perhaps?

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Re: Next Project ...... perhaps?

Post by Polslad »

Hi Brian,
I've had a look at the plot.
So these are the actual 'real' elevations that exist on Fishers Island?
So if I lay out the routing and draw the hole shapes in, all I would need to adjust would be 'local' minor elevations around greensites and tee boxes?
I have never used tehrain assist, I just position the holes from overheads, course guides and yardage charts.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yes that's right. I suppose if you wanted to you could just eyeball it now but using a satellite photo to draw all the shapes in the correct positions will be much more accurate. In importing the plot I've already done all the hardest parts as far as setting Terrain Assist up. All you have to do is the following:

1. Download this: http://www.zagerdesign.com/temp/terrain ... island.zip
2. Extract the Terrain Assist folder to your C:\
3. Inside the Terrain Assist folder on your C:\ drive open Terrain Assist.exe
4. Go to File > Existing Project
5. Pick the Fishers Island folder and open the Fishers Island.prj file.
6. It may take a minute or so to load because of the large satellite image but once it lets you, go to Shapes > Step 1: Draw Shapes

Here you draw your shapes:

1. Left click to add a point for a shape.
2. Right click to remove the last point added.
3. Push the arrow keys to move around or the + and - keys to zoom in and out.
4. When you finish drawing the shape push control and give the shape a name.
5. Repeat for each shape you want to draw.
6. Push space bar to export or exit.

Each shape you create becomes a separate file that you can export to your plot. You can always come back in and export them any time as long as you have the files. The shape files are at C:\Terrain Assist\Fishers Island\shapes. I already have some in there from what I did. Feel free to rename or delete or whatever you want to do with them.

1. To do an export either while drawing shapes push space bar and click on Export Shapes or if not in the shape drawing mode go to Shapes > Step 2: Export Shapes to CA.
2. Select your saved shapes, no more than 12 at a time. For some odd reason you can only select 12 files at a time but you can export more than 12 at once by clicking Queue in between each time to add more.
4. When you have selected all of the shapes you want click export.
5. A reminder appears that any shapes on the plot you select must be dropped so make sure when you last saved the plot there weren't any floating shapes. Click OK.
6. Under file type select CA File (*.*)
7. Select the plot (ach file) and click open.
8. Change Save as type to CA File (*.*)
9. Give the new plot a new name with an .ach extension on it.
10. Open the new plot file created and it will have all the shapes in it in the correct locations.

If you get stuck anywhere let me know.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Wow Brian,
That seems to be an awfully complicated way to get a course laid out.
I think I will probably just draw the shapes freehand from overheads and yardages.
I will use the plot though.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

I'm thinking Bethpage library.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Not really since I already did the setup work. All you're doing is drawing shapes on a satellite photo instead of an empty plot. :shrug: Sure there's one extra thing you do to export the shapes back to the plot but it takes all of a minute to do. I laid everything out by every single little step so maybe that makes it looks longer than it is. I think it's a lot harder trying to judge were everything is by eye. If you want to add your own touch to it rather than trace everything exactly I can understand that but if you're going for pure accuracy you can't beat this method.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

I get to item 5,
Pick the Fishers Island folder and open the Fishers Island.prj file.
I then get an error message
'Rune time error - could not load image at line 185'

I notice it say TW06 in there, could it be that I haven't got that on my PC?
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

No, I don't have TW either. Terrain Assist was made for TW but Headgate hadn't changed the architect since PGA 2000 so it works with PGA 2000 too. My only thought is you didn't unzip it as a folder at the top level of your C:\ drive. Sorry maybe I wasn't clear on that...not just anywhere on C:\ make it so the path is C:\Terrain Assist\. It's looking for the image at the same path I saved it at, that's why I was specific about that. You could open the image yourself from in Terrain Assist and then it wouldn't matter, I just thought this would be easier. If your drive is a different letter then C:\ making this impossible let me know. Otherwise if that's not it I don't know what the issue is.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Same error message Brian,
I guess I'm going to be drawing the shapes out old style.

thanks for trying and thanks for the plot.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Fishers Island is one of my favorite Seth Raynor designs. Good luck. If it it helps, here's an article, hole by hole, from GolfClubAtlas.com

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-cou ... land-club/
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Hmmm I thought that would work as long as the file paths were the same but I guess not. Let's just try one more thing, recreating the project file, and if that doesn't work I won't bother you with it anymore.

1. Download this and unzip the files to the Fishers Island folder in Terrain Assist: http://www.zagerdesign.com/temp/fishers ... errain.zip
2. Delete the Fishers Island.prj file.
3. Open Terrain Assist.
4. Go to File > New Project
5. Type Fishers Island and click Save.
6. Go to DEM > Step 1: Import 3DEM. Pick the Fishers Island.hdr file you added to the folder from step one.
7. Click the 10 Meter button. You will see a mesh appear.
7. Go to DEM > Step 2: Import Photo. Choose the Fishers Island.jpg file. The photo should replace the mesh.
8. Go to Shapes > Step 1: Draw Shapes

Now if it works you can draw your shapes using the steps above.