Any interest in an updated release of Bull's Eye / Tri-City?

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Any interest in an updated release of Bull's Eye / Tri-City?

Post by BrianZ111 »

I'm in the process of converting the courses for WGC and to prepare for that I did some updates to the PGA 2000 architect file before importing it in WGC. I had never played Bull's Eye at the time of the PGA 2000 release so the changes were primarily to reflect what I now know about the course. I've played it about a dozen times in the last 3 years and took some pictures and notes last year.

The changes are:
  • Completely reworked the green contours on all 18 of Bull's Eye's greens. I had just made up my own contours in the original, although some of them were surprisingly close.
  • Reworked the bunkers on Bull's Eye. I had given them too much depth. I raised them and gave them a back to front tilt as this is the style on the actual course.
  • Fixed the shape of a few bunkers, greens and fairways that were a little off. Moved a few tees that were a little off in location.
  • The original was built before DEM data so I had used contour maps to do the general elevations. I always thought there was something not quite right in a few spots. Well I discovered near the end of the green restoration process that I had doubled the contour heights for a large portion of the course (I had thought at the time they were 10 feet per contour line instead of 5 feet). I probably would not have attempted this project had I know that going in but since I had a lot of work in it already I went ahead and retraced the contour lines affected, cut them down 5 feet and smoothed around the lines. The most noticeable differences are the short par 3 15th hole (went from uphill 30 feet to 15 feet) and left of 18 which explained the ridiculous drop off I had down to the river there, now cut in half. This part also affects Tri-City, primarily the rise to the 4th green and drop from the 5th tee are cut in half.
For a PGA 2000 release I still have some work to do that I don't have to do for the WGC conversion. Thanks to the contour line changes all 3D objects are floating in the air now and need to be reset in the ground. Also thinking about replacing some of the trees with trees I did for The Ridges and the textures with what I did for Peninsula State Park or possibly even a new texture set based on the textures I use for the WGC version.

So with that is there interest in a new releases of these courses for PGA 2000? If so I'll plan on doing the rest of the work required for a PGA 2000 release but probably not until the WGC version is complete.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Re: Any interest in an updated release of Bull's Eye / Tri-C

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Brian,

I like the update idea on courses. IRL, changes occur constantly and courses evolve with the changes.

Go for it.
Stan
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Brian! I'll never say no to an update . DO IT
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Brian, I love Bullseye as it is, but if the contours you put on the greens weren't real, they very well could have been! Go for it!

Doron
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

OK, I will go ahead with it. Hoping I can get the WGC course done in 4 - 5 weeks and then maybe 1 - 2 weeks to finish up a PGA release of this update. Things usually end up taking longer than I expect though so we'll see how it goes.