New Project

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
bryce
Legend of Golf

New Project

Post by bryce »

Since Polslad's thread of "Diary of a golf hole," I have decided to start anew instead of messing with the real courses I have been stuck on for years. Today, I started a brand new fictional course. I took one overhead screenshot:
newcourse.jpg
(314.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet
This is just what I have done in about 2 hours of time today. This is also what I do on most of my projects....lay out the plot before doing any real elevation work. I laid out the entire front 9, making sure that the 9th hole ends close to where the clubhouse and practice areas would be (outlined shape that has not been dropped). I started by laying out the holes, then adding the water texture. Then I start from the first tee and draw my shapes. Tees come first, then I go to the green and work backwards. As of now I am simply using Palmela textures and nothing else, but I tend to interchange throughout the process to whatever may fit my eye better.

No name for this one yet. I'll keep you posted.

Doron
ADC
Tour Contender

Re: New Project

Post by ADC »

I like it. Especially what looks like the 9th. Reminds me of the arc that forms 6 at Bay Hill.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

I'm starting to get the itch to start a new course also. Especially since I have a new 500GB computer compared to my old 40GB. Good luck with your project Doron.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

ADC wrote:I like it. Especially what looks like the 9th. Reminds me of the arc that forms 6 at Bay Hill.
That's what inspired/going to inspire that hole!
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron! Have you laid out the back nine yet?
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Steve, about to configure the layout of the back 9 now. All of the front 9 has their shapes down. I may alter some of the bunkers.

Here is what I have for the 9th hole :bg:
9th.jpg
(240.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Doron
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Looks great! I do have a quick question, though. What is the distance from the tees to the shot points on either side of the tree? I'm just curious if the one closest to the green is too far a carry over the water, as 300 yards can be a long one in this game. If that's the case, how far is the approach from the shot point on the left side?

Hope my questions help.

Alex.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron! #9 BRUTLE. No way I can hit it 300 yards in the air unless extreme helping winds.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Alex,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Here are some basic measurements for the 9th hole.
9th in detail.jpg
(310.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The back 9 is routed, but I'm debating on changing 2 of the holes to add some more water. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Doron
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron! The 2nd shot to the green isn't as far as it looked. Thanks for the yardage info.