Diary of a Golf Hole

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Diary of a Golf Hole

Post by Polslad »

Have thought about the way I'm going to tackle my attempt at building the Ultimate 18 golf holes into one course and have started on the work.
I aim to create the cliff top holes on two 'Island plots, too keep the cliff creation easier, the bulk of the course on a 3rd island plot, and the links section on a final 4th island plot.
I think with enough space and object placement between the plots, you shouldn't be able to tell when playing.
Can anyone suggest a suitable name for the course?
Something that reflects the layout and selection of holes.
Also,
I thought I might keep a picture diary of some of the holes as I work on them, starting with the hardest first, the 16th at Cypress Point.
Here's my first layout, compared with the real thing.
Now all I have to do is make mine look like that, simples!
Attachments
16th Cypress.jpg
(118.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
gallery-large-cypress-16.jpg
(209.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Re: Diary of a Golf Hole

Post by Polslad »

Starting to take shape.
A couple of hours work today.
First landscaping added, view from the tee.
Attachments
16th Cypress + cliffs.jpg
(113.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

David! I'll try to help with a name if something comes to mine. Island hopping course sound like the second coming of Outer Limits for PGA 2000.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

I have no idea what that means!
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Post by Pyecraft »

It's looking really good Pols, you're off to a great start. I like your 'three Island plots' idea best, it will prove invaluable when isolating each section to optimize points - especially when finalizing elevation shapes on the ocean rockwork, and yes, disguising their junctions without showing where is easily done.
Having worked, reworked and finally overworked Snowdonia in a similar style over the years, trying to weave the mountain holes down from the hills into the actual Conway links itself, my conclusion is that less, is definitely more when it comes to libraries. At one time there I was working 5 or 6 different libs I'd created with over 60 'trying-to-match' textures and it just became too complicated if not disjointed. Then there will always be a texture somewhere in the design that surprises with its total mis-match which you might never see clearly it until your late in the play testing, so I would offer that for course continuity in a compilation such as 'Ultimate' (great name, btw) you use one comprehensive library.
My guess is simply to place more fauna in the parkland, less in the oceanside but more rocks, less rocks in the links but more grass, etc. Perhaps you might play with the shades of each texture slightly as light would surely reflect off the textures brighter with each approach down to the open skies of the sea. Its an intriguing design David, but I wonder if you're routing will have play dipping in and out of each section, or will you designate say three or four holes consecutive play in each?
May the only balls you slice be your own
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Hello Mr Pyecraft,
I was in your homeland just last week, the Royal Oak in Betws-Y-Coed with my beloved. Very nice stay.

I plan to use the same libraries (mainly Woodford Park and Cypress) for the cliff top and parkland holes, and a yet to be determined links library for links holes.
Clever routing will see a parkland start, a couple of cliff top holes, more parkland to links to parkland, with the last two holes running along cliff top again.
The links holes will play as one segment.

I've had a play at adding water textures, can't decide if I like it or it looks too busy.
Attachments
16th Cypress + cliffs + Water.jpg
(638.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Polsad,

I think it looks busy, but that might be OK. That cove can be a very busy place.

I'd say, maybe Google the hole, and study the waves more. It seems like the breakers come in due from the west more often than not.

http://www.golftripper.com/wp-content/u ... ole-16.jpg
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

I've already deleted them!
Stick to the old addage, less is more!
Put that one on hold now, starting the 8th at Pebble Beach to run next to it.
I must be mad.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Lol. We all are, Polsad. We all are. BTW, I love this course idea. I'm looking forward to watching it progress.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Here's the 8th at Pebble laid out, along side the 16th.
These will be holes 4 & 5 on my course.
Have substituted the water texture whilst I work on the hole.
Can't wait to see how this turns out.
Have been reading that there's been a lot of work done on the 8th at Pebble, will incorporate the new hole into the design.
Attachments
4 & 5.jpg
(487.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet