New Contest Idea

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
A Brandt
Club Champion

New Contest Idea

Post by A Brandt »

I thought it would be a good idea to start a new contest while we're fresh off the last one. I'm hoping this will bring more players, mostly because it will be an easier project (I hope). Plus, now that the new site is up and running it seems like we're getting better participation on the forum. So, here is my idea...

- 9 hole course
- Max par 32
- Max hole length 450yd
- Max 3 custom libraries
- Start with a flat plot, sized 850x850yd (or roughly 150 acres)

Any other suggestions are welcome. I am thinking 2 or 3 month time frame for this, but it's up to everyone who wants to participate.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: New Contest Idea

Post by bryce »

Sounds interesting. With a par 3 type of course and being only 9 holes, would there be a theme, or style?
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

We could certainly do that, maybe give a choice of two styles. I originally thought of limiting it to only stock libraries, but I don't know how much fun that would be.
Craigus10
Scramble Player

Post by Craigus10 »

Yeah, does sound interesting. I just played a course like this on the weekend with a par 31. Maybe make it 2-3 custom libs, just so it's not too limited. As far as style, maybe leave it open, as we all saw the different looking courses that we came up with and I think that worked really well. We could always have a set plot and go from there, or as Adam said, make up your own to a specific size.

It has piqued my interest. I am working on Royal Melbourne at the moment, just laying out shapes, but this will take a couple of months to complete. I have another course that I got an idea about the other day after seeing a new one that had opened, but haven't started anything on this yet either.
Last edited by Craigus10 on January 17th, 2011, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

I'll be releasing a new course in the next week or so, so this would be a good time for me to start something new. I have an idea on what I'd like to, but if there isn't much interest right now I can always wait and start something on my own. I have no problem waiting until there's more interest, just wanted to throw the idea out there.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

No offense, but those kind of courses don't get much play. I would much rather see our talented designers spend time on conventional 18-hole courses. Just my :2cents:

FWIW,
Dar
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Dar is right. We have a few "executive"-style and quite a few par 3 courses available now. I don't know what other people play but I do recall that when we had the "number of download" stats available on Mygolfer they didn't have many dl's.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

I'll play a 9 hole course in real life but mostly avoid them in this game.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

Hmm I never thought of that. You may be right, if nobody's gonna play it then maybe it's a bad idea. Plus it's better to wait a little bit to start any sort of contest. I think us designers from this most recent one need a break!
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

I need a break so I can get back into doing the reviews again! I also have 2 more that I started waaaaay back and would like to focus on them.